Third Party Press

Danzig 1917 Gew98

Well a little knowledge can be a dangerous (and expensive) thing... the rifle is misrepresnted and it isn't a KM rifle. Obviously an honest mistake, so it is hard to get worked up at the seller, but that buyer sure is taking it in the shorts if the expectation is that this is a KM rifle.

A very nice Danzig/1917, probably as nice as you can hope to come across, but whereas 1915-1916 Danzigs are rather difficult to find original-matching, that isn't nearly as true for 1917 production. There are more matching-original Danzig's from 1917 that all the other years combined. Which is typical of most makers, especially the heavy hitters like Danzig, as 1917 was when the rifle situation changed. Massive production in 1915-1916, coupled with a change in doctrine made the Gew.98 in less demand, just look at Amberg, they must have stored 75% of their 1917-1918 production, they are often found this nice.

Four years ago Poulin Antiques & Auctions in Maine had a very large firearm estate sale. There was a mint 1917 Oberspree Kornbusch that pulled around $6K (including buyers premium). It would have been the cornerstone to a serious Gew98 collection and something rarely encountered except in a few museums. I stopped at around $3K...

Earlier today on another forum discussing this mint '17 Danzig, a poster replied that they knew a reliable source that knew the buyer and stated the buyer was aware it wasn't KM. For some reason that post was modified (or it just disappeared) today from that forum.....

Attachments

• 1917 WOK Mint.JPG
    1917 WOK Mint.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 54
Well it makes no sense to me then, why the astronomical price when it is at best a conditional rarity.. Even if they believed it were KM, that is a ridiculous price, but if they knew it were not, they must be seeking something in collecting that escapes me.

At least if it were true, that the buyer knew, then there was no harm done.

Earlier today on another forum discussing this mint '17 Danzig, a poster replied that they knew a reliable source that knew the buyer and stated the buyer was aware it wasn't KM. For some reason that post was modified (or it just disappeared) today from that forum.....

Correction, the Danzig, although in exceptional condition, wasn't mint.....the Kornbusch was mint and gorgeous!

Military Rifle Journal
Back