Third Party Press

LK5 stamped into the stock

Bob in OHIO

This rework has a faint LK5 (right side, by buttplate) in the wood that I missed when I first went over it. Never have seen this before and thought it worth noting. PS has provided me some private comments, but curious what others know about this...

The rifle is posted here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?481-S-42G-Rework

Attachments

• S42G.rework.01.jpg
    S42G.rework.01.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 66
  • S42G.rework.02.jpg
    S42G.rework.02.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 62
  • S42G.rework.05.jpg
    S42G.rework.05.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 79
  • S42G.rework.56.jpg
    S42G.rework.56.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 44
Man, for the life of me I don't remember the particulars, but I know I have read in a few threads about this mark on re-works and or captured weapons....it was a while back though. One of the guys here should know for sure....

There was a thread a year or so back on Gunboards, as I recall the theme of the discussion suggested the marking is associated with Luftgaukommando 5, and while that is plausible, the intelligence report I have on the Luftgaue system (Luftgaukommandos are HQ for the Luftgaue and control the facilities and units assigned to them- much like the Wehrkreis system the Heer maintained- and ss for that matter, which had a similar, though very haphazard system) doesn't list LG5 existing. Skips over LG5, and while the LW had created operational Luftgaukommandos in the occupied territories (mostly to control ground installations- not part of the replacement/training/school system) I do not know how they were designated.

It is "possible" these rifles (LK3, LK5, LK7, LK9 have been mentioned- LK5 the most numerous) were part of some rear area support organization tasked with the ground installations in the occupied territories (all except this rifle of Bob's are non-standard rifles- Bob has the only 98k I have seen, and most are VERY late May/40 MAS/1936 rifles and 98a carbines) and would certainly have been stuck with non-standard rifles?

Anyway, lots of wild speculation, but like all good speculation (and lies) it has a ring of truth to it!

Man, for the life of me I don't remember the particulars, but I know I have read in a few threads about this mark on re-works and or captured weapons....it was a while back though. One of the guys here should know for sure....

Go over to the French Forum at gunboards and search LK5, there has been a lot of discussion lately on the LK5 and the weapons that are marked. I have two rifles with the LK5 stamped in the stocks, a Greek FN 1930 with an E/140 marked stock and an original condition 1941 Ishvesk SVT 40.

A search for “LK5” in the French forum and or Gunboards in general doesn’t seem to work (too short a word).

What was the consensus on the mark?

Go over to the French Forum at gunboards and search LK5, there has been a lot of discussion lately on the LK5 and the weapons that are marked. I have two rifles with the LK5 stamped in the stocks, a Greek FN 1930 with an E/140 marked stock and an original condition 1941 Ishvesk SVT 40.

I see, - I scrolled a couple pages but that was over a year back and I didn't get far back enough to pull it up!

I see CB (post 20) covered it well, typical of his thoroughness, and I guess he thinks little of the Luftgaukommando 5 theme.. it certainly is problematic but perhaps we just need more digging!

I did a search Mas 36 LK5 and there's a lot of stuff you have to look through but here's one with a lot of different weapons mentioned, http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?33903-Another-LK-5-stamped-Mas-36&highlight=Mas36

Military Rifle Journal
Back