Third Party Press

Need some advice on a firing pin

Tater792

Not sure if this is where I should post this. Last year I picked up an all matching Kar98 that came out of the Alabama National Guard Museum , even got the paper work . Problem is the firing pin was "clipped" and someone tried to re-shape it . I've been reading that firing pins can be re-tipped? take a look at the pic's . Is this one to far gone to be re-tipped and if it can, any recommendations on who can do it ? I'm also concerned about the blue color, it got too hot during the grinding, would this affect it being re-tipped ? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 003.jpg
    Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 003.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 004.jpg
    Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 004.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 002.jpg
    Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 002.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 006.jpg
    Kar98 Firing Pin 7-4-12 006.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 15
Have you fired the carbine? If these are related to the ANG sales from the 1990's you need to check the chamber area as some were altered to fire 30-06 blanks. Re- the FP, there is a guy who does them, can't remember his name offhand but he did one for me 6 years or so ago and he is a Gew.88 collector as I recall? MauserBill knows him, but I just can't remember his name...

I do not know if this fp can be restored but it is worth asking someone who would know, like MauserBill or the other "Modell98 mechanics".

Not sure if this is where I should post this. Last year I picked up an all matching Kar98 that came out of the Alabama National Guard Museum , even got the paper work . Problem is the firing pin was "clipped" and someone tried to re-shape it . I've been reading that firing pins can be re-tipped? take a look at the pic's . Is this one to far gone to be re-tipped and if it can, any recommendations on who can do it ? I'm also concerned about the blue color, it got too hot during the grinding, would this affect it being re-tipped ? Thanks in advance for any help.

SimsonShul, It is in 8x57 and yes I have fired it, with a different firing pin. I put 10 commercial rds thru it ,VERY accurate and a joy to shoot. After reading HB's post on his Erfurt 1918 mine is also an Erfurt 1918 serial# 3058 a . Thanks for the info SS !!

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back