Third Party Press

Correct mounting methods for the Zielsechs (6x) scope?

CM0087

Hi all,

Am in the process of building a K98 sniper (won't be a factory sniper rifle, I know, but I want one all the same :) )

Just wondering what the correct style of mount is for this scope? High turret, side mount, or low turret? (scope is original, or course : ) )

Also which year K98 should I be on the lookout for (I've heard 43-44 models as this is when Germany started building dedicated sniper rifles??)

Cheers

Chris.

Any of the Three that You Mentioned would be Correct , If You choose a Turret You could use byf43 for either HT or LT for SSR Sauer CE41 , 42 or 43 , 44 other Sauer Rifle would be OK but also depends on Type Base & Mount Type you wish to do . Its a Repro so depends on how historically or Factually Correct You want It to be , some may say well HT were not until 44 but not impossible that a BYF43 could have been used for a HT . You can also use a Sauer CE43 or 44 for HT but only if HT . Hope this helps You on decision . Best Regards .
:thumbsup:

ZIELSECHS were on more than one mounting system....and they started making dedicated rifles long before that.

A 43 or 44 byf would be a good donor gun for a LT/HT..and a BCD 4 would work for an LSR...plenty of them available as sporters you can pick up to modify...and @ a reasonable price if you are patient.

Dont get in a hurry...it will take awhile to make it all happen...I can assure you of that.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I have a few pics of the scope here (don't have it yet, though, on it's way)

Cheers

Chris.Zielsechs1.JPG

Zielsechs4.JPG

Hello,

this scope just ended on eBay, FYI its a post war scope. sorry to say not suitable for some of the snipers listed here as its the featherlight model and even if you remove the integral rail on the scope (seen it done own 1 also) it can't be soldered for the LT and HT setup and LSR projects cause no recoil ring can be added. when rail removed only good for SSR project. good luck

later
Vaughn

Hello,

this scope just ended on eBay, FYI its a post war scope. sorry to say not suitable for some of the snipers listed here as its the featherlight model and even if you remove the integral rail on the scope (seen it done own 1 also) it can't be soldered for the LT and HT setup and LSR projects cause no recoil ring can be added. when rail removed only good for SSR project. good luck

later
Vaughn

Thanks, Vaughn

Guess I'll go with SSR set up.

As I said, I'm after a replica that will shoot, so I'm not crazy on having everything 100% accurate. I have a beautiful 1937 K98 I bought of Vulch last year, so I'm just after a decent rifle to stick it on and have fun at the range with, maybe even throw it in the truck when I go away :D

Cheers.

you will be having a problem using this scope with any of the sniper type mounts.
the scope tube is aluminum.the aluminum tubed scopes have larger outside diameters than the same model scope with a steel tube.the OD of the zeiss zielvier and zielsechs dural scope is 1.100".the steel tubed scope of the same model has a tube diameter of 1.044".the aluminum material is not a strong as steel when used with the same wall thickness.the aluminum tube wall thickness was increased to make it as strong as steel yet make the weight less than steel.
the typical sniper mounts were made to use with scope of 26.5mm(1.044') and 27mm(1.062") .there were some SSR mounts used that were for 22mm (.866")tubed scopes.
also the aluminum tube objective and eyepiece have larger OD so the lens caps are are different size.

Thanks for the advice,fellas. Could i get my smithy to get rid of the rail,and maybe get a custom SSR mount made to fit the bigger tube diameter? That way at least the mounting style is correct,even if this scope wasn't mounted in this particular fashion. Alternativley,get a set of claw mounts made for it? I think those were used on k98 snipers in one form or another? If i can get it looking the part and shooting,i'll be happy :) obviously i wish i knew all this before i bought it.cheers,fellas.

Last edited:
the Zielsechs 6x was used with claw mounts on Mod.98 sporters.However,the front claw ring was attached to a base on the barrel.the front claw ring on the Gew98 and K98k were never attached to the barrel.for use with an objective mount on the k98k the zielvier 4x was used.
might be able to get away with using a LSR mount with band type rings.you might check if ZF4 bands could be used or make new bands.

Thanks for the help

Well the scope is finally here, and I'm quite pleased with it. Elevation & focus works great and the optics are clear as a bell. Wish I knew then what i know now and brought a scope with the correct (26mm) tube, but hey that's life.

So after getting my smithy to get rid of the fugly rails, what do you guys suggest, a SSR or LSR mounting system? If I can organise a mount that will fit the tube, that is.

Cheers, guys :happy0180:

Military Rifle Journal
Back