Third Party Press

Kar98a Erfurt 1917

ClintJ

WW1 carbine

Have a chance to pick up a 1917 Kar98a. Looks to be all matching but may be lightly sanded. I would be trading my refurbed Russian letter SKS. Should I?

Attachments

• 100_0882.jpg
    100_0882.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_0881.jpg
    100_0881.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_0885.jpg
    100_0885.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_0888.jpg
    100_0888.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_0883.jpg
    100_0883.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
From what I can see, I would. Refurbed SKS's are common, relatively cheap, and easily replaced. Matching Imperial carbines not so much.

PM his info if you don't want it. :)

It's already a done deal. I couldnt resist. They say those letter guns are going to get worth more but I dont see it. The stock isnt as crisp as I would like but oh well. I'll get some pics tomorrow evening.

Doesn't look sanded to me, although with Beech it can be hard to tell. As long as the stock cypher and acceptance are showing (which they are on this one) I'd go for it.

Well I picked the rifle up this morning. I couldnt sleep too good last night lol. Here's a few shots but it was too darned hot and bright to do much good. The bolt face is like a mirror!

pics1133.jpg pics1132.jpg

pics1134.jpg pics1135.jpg

pics1136.jpg pics1145.jpg

pics1144.jpg pics1151.jpg

pics1142.jpg pics1140.jpg

pics1146.jpg pics1154.jpg

I think you did very well, this was the highest production Modell98 until WWII; Erfurt made enormous numbers this year, but this is about as nice as you will find. I do not think the stock is sanded, actually it is pretty nice and these, while fairly commonly encountered, are hardly ever this nice. Most are interwar reworks or sporter jobs.

Do a picture of the RR?

I think one of the most appealing things about these is the reason behind the large increases in production and the connection to a change in tactical doctrine that necessitated such numbers. While obviously most of these rifles never saw much front line service (most that survive today show interwar service and stayed in German hands, many were obviously destroyed through 1924 and probably figured prominently in destruction totals..) the focus on producing them, and the MG08/15 and P08, was driven in part by the changes in doctrine that the German developed in the middle war period. The creation and reliance upon the Sturmbataillons is a fascinating subject and the numerous photographs of the period with the soldiers sporting grenade sacks, specialized gear and Kar98a should make the 1916-1918 Kar98a part of every collector’s collection.

Plus they look cool!

The Germans might have been terrible at politics and international relationship building, but they sure knew how to make cool uniforms, small arms and were at the top of the field in industrial and military innovation 1890-1933 (I give nothing to the nazi era, the greatness of the German Army had its foundation before those pigs came to power… they squandered and piddled away everything that made Germany a great country).

Yes, RR= right receiver; I figured Clint had been around long enough to know the abbreviations used to save typing. If the guy is a regular on the forums I figure they know the short hand, sorry about that.

I track acceptance patterns because they tell you who made the rifle, and while the Imperial patterns take a lot more effort than interwar & nazi era to track and understand, you do eventually get familiar with them enough to know the assembler and even the rough date on some makers.

Yes, RR= right receiver; I figured Clint had been around long enough to know the abbreviations used to save typing. If the guy is a regular on the forums I figure they know the short hand, sorry about that.

I track acceptance patterns because they tell you who made the rifle, and while the Imperial patterns take a lot more effort than interwar & nazi era to track and understand, you do eventually get familiar with them enough to know the assembler and even the rough date on some makers.

Sorry, it took a minute to dawn on me. I thought the top pic might suffice. I'll get a clear side shot. Ok I snapped a quick one. Let me know if too crappy. Also what about the rust on the buttplate? Give it a stern look and nothing more?

pics1158.jpgpics1159.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, plenty good enough!

I would remove the worse of the rust, just try to be conservative, especially around any markings. Some people go nuts with brillo pads, grinders and buffers, but just go slow and use your head (you can only clean something the first time once). As it is bright metal you have more wiggle room for options. Usually it looks worse in pictures than in reality.

Any markings under the wood worth noting? I may take it apart this weekend. I havent decided yet, whether or not to mess with it.

Ambitious!

Need to take some care with that handguard, looked cracked as I recall? The only information you can find under is the barrel code, which is of little value and whether it has been re-barreled, which is doubtful in this case. Of course if you take proper care and caution, it is always good to see if there is any issues with poor storage (rust & the like) under the wood, but again it is not a likely problem in this case.

I am terribly curious and nosey, so I always disassemble rifles, as it bugs me not knowing... if you can live with the curiosity, then I would leave it be as the downside outways the upside with the handguard and things that can go wrong.

Yes that hand guard! part of me wants to glue it but I dont know. Thanks for looking and the info. I'll probably just leave it alone.

Military Rifle Journal
Back