Third Party Press

My Yugo Capture K98k

Gott Mit Uns

Hey guys, I picked up a K98k awhile ago, and I'm a bit confused about it's origins. I've done some research and asked around at other forums, and I've pretty much figured out that it is a Yugo Capture K98k.

As far as I understand, these K98k's were captured by the Yugos while driving the Germans out of their country. They were then refurbed in Yugo factories, had the Nazi markings scrubbed, and Yugo markings, I have just a few questions. First, is this really what happened? Do I actually have a German K98k that was captured by the Yugoslavians and refurbed for their use? I've looked this gun over top to bottom, and I can see no swastikas or eagles, but on the right side of the rear sight there is a single waffenampt, with '280' beneath it. There's the Yugo crest on the receiver, along with "Preduzece 44" on the left side of the receiver. "Mod. 98" is in the customary place.

Bolt does not match receiver, but the receiver does match the stock. I asked my dad, who's a forester, and he said the stock was walnut, so I know it's probably the original German stock.

Any and all information is welcome, I picked it up for $180 dollars just because I wanted a K98k, and didn't particularly care if it had Nazi markings or not. Could you guys shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

The story is accurate. My first 98k was one of these as well, and they are one of the better refurbs as far as quality. Most have been rebarreled, and are built from mixed parts that have been scrubbed of serials and sometimes waffenamts.

Thank you for the information. Any idea what I can tell from the Waffenamt? I've done a bit of research, and if I am correct, it was inspected in one of these five places, with the dates of manufacture next to them:

WaA280 ax Erma Erfurt 1940 - 41

S/243 Mauser-Werke Borsigwalde 1938

243 Mauser Borsigwalde 1938

cww Carl Weiss Braunschweig 1942

ce Sauer und Sohn Suhl 1942 - 44

Thanks again. :)

The most probable is Erma, but that doesn't mean it's 100%. With these Yugo's, they have mixed parts and can have a waffenamt on any of the small parts. Mine had an E/77 on the front sight, but that didn't make it a Steyr.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back