Third Party Press

G98m Question... Gew. 1914

Bob in OHIO

After removing the gobs of heavy air rust on this conversion, I see the Polish body body, cocking piece, gas shield were scrubbed and number etched. I'm thinking this is okay given the condition and how the rifle was presented. I assumed bolt mm when I bought it.

Seems like this one has a lot going on ...LK5 on the butt, wide rear band, Su4, early box acceptance on the rear sight & sleeve, stock repair, duff cut, hard to read wood... matched to the screws... but my question really surrounds the bolt parts? Whatcha think?

Attachments

• DSCF0151.jpg
    DSCF0151.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0185.jpg
    DSCF0185.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF0186.jpg
    DSCF0186.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF0154.jpg
    DSCF0154.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF0153.jpg
    DSCF0153.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0155.jpg
    DSCF0155.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0156.jpg
    DSCF0156.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0160.JPG
    DSCF0160.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0157.jpg
    DSCF0157.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0166.jpg
    DSCF0166.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0168.jpg
    DSCF0168.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF0170.jpg
    DSCF0170.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0171.jpg
    DSCF0171.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF0174.jpg
    DSCF0174.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0177.jpg
    DSCF0177.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0180.jpg
    DSCF0180.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF0176.jpg
    DSCF0176.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0184.jpg
    DSCF0184.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0187.JPG
    DSCF0187.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0162.jpg
    DSCF0162.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 84
98m

I have owned a few and Ive never seen a bolt re-done like that.. Not saying its wrong. Looks ok overall to me. I think its a nice build...

I haven't seen an etched bolt on a updated Gew98, but do have a depot reworked M95M that has similarly etched parts. I think the best way to classify this is as a non-standard type numbering job, one you could never prove was period but is most likely period. Does that make sense?

Pic of Vz33 bbl'd action. Neither original number nor ep'd number match receiver. No idea when done. JL

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 76
I agree with Mike and the others, that it is probably period (wartime) re-number but nothing to do with the interwar work (obvious enough by the Polish origins of the bolt...)

I think it is pretty neat but would take a serious hit value wise for the reasons Mike gave.

BTW, interesting LK5, another Imperial-interwar rifle with this marking. So far all are second line or captured rifles (French) with only two K98k that I have seen (35-36 dated); while I like the Luftgau connection some make to this marking, I would like it more if it was marked to the LZa rather than the HQ.. That and I do not know where LGK 5 would be located, as it isn't on the map I have.

BTW, interesting LK5, another Imperial-interwar rifle with this marking. So far all are second line or captured rifles (French) with only two K98k that I have seen (35-36 dated); while I like the Luftgau connection some make to this marking, I would like it more if it was marked to the LZa rather than the HQ.. That and I do not know where LGK 5 would be located, as it isn't on the map I have.

Luftgau-Kommando V was the new name of Luftgau-Kommando Westfrankreich after 6 September 1944 when the HQ was reformed in Stuttgart, the home of the old LGK5 disbanded in 1938. It apparently remained responsible for all remaining territory in France up to the front and Baden-Wurtemburg. If these are LGK rifles, that would explain why most weapons with the 'LK5' are French..

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Luftgaue/Luftgau5.htm

Interesting link, resourceful too, thanks!

Still wonder why they followed a marking pattern identifying the HQ and not an ordnance organization. Perhaps like the 98k built by the Wehrkreis and marked with the Roman numeral of that district?

I guess we will have to wait for Volume II for the answer!

Thx guys...The Polish bolt indicating a second rework post '39 is also consistent with the unnumbered E/280 firing pin it has.

Current computer issues are causing me grief, but here are some more wood pics...
1) Interesting un-numbered striker
2) Wish I could "read" the waff-acceptance beneath the 183 in the wood... Anyone see anything?
3) The plugged wood repair is a new one on me... are these common?

Attachments

• DSCF0158.jpg
    DSCF0158.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0163.jpg
    DSCF0163.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0194.jpg
    DSCF0194.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0196.jpg
    DSCF0196.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 49
Current computer issues are causing me grief, but here are some more wood pics...
1) Interesting un-numbered striker
2) Wish I could "read" the waff-acceptance beneath the 183 in the wood... Anyone see anything?
3) The plugged wood repair is a new one on me... are these common?

1) Erma produced armorers spare striker I guess...

2) Obviously, it isn't a new stock so its probably an HZa acceptance. I can't see anything in your pics, but if you send it to me I can take a closer look. :biggrin1: I didn't notice before but the old stock number has been cancelled with zeros like your other depot guns.

3) I was surprised no one mentioned those odd repairs on the stock. I suppose it had a gouge in it.

Try chalk! TA will go nuts...

Probably an HZa marking, but I can't read a single character, even with your good pictures. Obviously we can't tell anything simply by the way the old serialing is cancelled, but I will say this seems to be more typical of the eastern depots (Poland).

Yes, I have seen similar repairs, in the Imperial era they used a resin of some sort, sometimes applied in a strange way, like pellets, but also like a bakelite fill too. Very hard, black but resin like, sometimes it is found cracked in places due to age or heat.

This style is more interwar and nazi period, in the interwar period the Germans were broke, coupled with Versailles and a left leaning government much of the time (even under Hindenburg I wouldn't call them very conservative, though fiscally they were typically German - "responsible" with money) they weren't re-armament happy and kept the military on a tight budget. Which meant very frugal with re-using materials where possible.

In the nazi period they were careless with money, fascists, like obama, do not care about the "peoples" money and spent it recklessly. Early on, before they had complete control, you see some frugality because there was only so much money they could spend and unemployment was the biggest threat to their staying in power. Rearmament required things be done in stages, they started with facilities (barracks, airfields, infrastructure) and skimp on some of the things you would think would come first. They went nuts on airplanes for instance, but surprisingly training aircraft by a large margin (makes sense but as nazis are stupid and enamored by "power" you'd think they would have started with bombers and fighters.. probably only went with trainers because someone explained it to them with a crayon..). Rifles they spent a lot of money on reworking and upgrading rifles, lots of salvage but new barrels, stocks and r/s and wide bands were made new. After they were tight as a tick in Germany's flesh, they went wild with rearmament and salvage dropped out of style, but with the Gewehr98 they sort of had to keep with salvage awhile longer as they stopped making ordnance spares before the war began (1938-39). That is why you see such crude repairs and a lot of "conversions" to 98k during the war (really just scrapping rifles by 1941, reusing the receiver and built as a K98k, the balance parted out for those rifles that can use the remaining parts...)

Military Rifle Journal
Back