Third Party Press

Turret sniper

gebirgsjager

YEEEHAHAHA! Just picked up,this weekend,a Mauser high turret rifle.My camera pooped the bed, but I will get a friend to take some pics within a week. I am on night shift so it will be later this week. Barrel date 43, no scope or rings, but mounts and real. All matching. Son said his dad picked it up in the Bulge(will get further details I hope). Initially I thought it was heavily sanded, but in the sun I can see 1 eagle(heavy HEAVY varnish:facepalm:). Hand guard has serial # stamped inside, stock has it written inside. Now, where the hell do I get an original scope and rings. I used to have a scope around (with recoil ring) but a lot of my stuff is in temp controled storage and a quick look did not come up with it. Any help with a scope and rings?????:hail:

Congratulations! Sounds like your rifle could also be a low turret, so I wouldn’t rush to buy high turret mounts unless you are certain. Also, take your time in deciding to remove the heavy varnish on the stock. I see too many collectors rush into these decisions in their excitement and end up using the wrong chemicals which can damage what patina is left under the varnish. I hope you have good luck in finding an original scope/mounts. Your scope with recoil ring is not correct for turret mount snipers as you probably already know.

YEEEHAHAHA! Just picked up,this weekend,a Mauser high turret rifle.My camera pooped the bed, but I will get a friend to take some pics within a week. I am on night shift so it will be later this week. Barrel date 43, no scope or rings, but mounts and real. All matching. Son said his dad picked it up in the Bulge(will get further details I hope). Initially I thought it was heavily sanded, but in the sun I can see 1 eagle(heavy HEAVY varnish:facepalm:). Hand guard has serial # stamped inside, stock has it written inside. Now, where the hell do I get an original scope and rings. I used to have a scope around (with recoil ring) but a lot of my stuff is in temp controled storage and a quick look did not come up with it. Any help with a scope and rings?????:hail:

Let me know when you post Pics , I have Scopes and Rings not sure about selling the ones I have but I can help You get one depending on what it actually is LT or HT lets see a couple Pics of inside of Front Base . Do Not let my earlier comment about selling deter You as I have been known to change my mind . Best Regards

High Turret

Congrats on the High Turret. It is one of my favorites. Pictures would be great. Also, Dave Roberts is an excellent source of original German Sniper items. He has helped me on a couple of occasions.

Brian

Thanks guys. I was sure ,from the eagle 135 behind the serial that it was a high turret, but looking inside the mount, I swear the ears on the ring would be on the very bottom. I will get photos before the weekend (I am working nights...yuk) and we shall figure this out. I LOVE THIS FORUM! Everyone is ssooo helpful. I have removed the orange shelac(sic) from stocks before, and slow is the way to go! I hear EZ OFF oven cleaner does a good job, but I would rather leave it on the stock than destroy a piece of history. Are Mike and Bruce doing a book on snipers? looking forward to the next volume.:biggrin1:
Congrats on the High Turret. It is one of my favorites. Pictures would be great. Also, Dave Roberts is an excellent source of original German Sniper items. He has helped me on a couple of occasions.

Brian

Gebirgsjager,
As I mentioned in your other thread, looks like you have a low turret. I hope you are able to get some background information on the veteran who brought this home. I think it's important to document that.

Very nice. Do a lots of homework before you strip off that added finish to keep the stock as intact as possible. Congratulations on a very nice find.

Yes It is a Nice LT , Great Find . As mentioned be careful stripping the Stock . Ask Mike Steves or Bruce Karem what and how would be best , You do not want to screw it Up . Best Regards

Military Rifle Journal
Back