PDA

View Full Version : RIA Snipers

gergnotwen
07-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Anyone looked over the snipers just posted on the upcoming RIA auction? I see one turret with a Czech marked trigger guard, curious as to the use of Czech parts in Mauser sniper builds. Can't remember seeing one with a CZ marked part to be honest. Prices are just astronomical for sure, any thoughts?

Dave Roberts
07-30-2012, 12:10 AM
There is Two Super Nice German Snipers in RIA & then there are Two that I am Very Concerned about should someone buy these . The Two I do not like are the HT`s . I know with these anomalies I would never Bid on them . Best Regards
RIA never fails to amaze me :facepalm:

BOTD
07-31-2012, 08:57 AM
RIA never fails to amaze me :facepalm:

Granted I am just getting started in the world of 98k Snipers but I WAS wondering about what I had seen people remarking on as far as what the cost of a real original sniper was worth, ($5K+) and then RIA saying $20K.......

gebirgsjager
07-31-2012, 09:18 AM
RIA goes by current and past results to figure their estimated prices. I usually keept he catalogues for awhile and if you go back and look, you can watch the "Rise to Power" of the snipers. The only snipes going for $5000 are being found outside of auctions.....and of course fakes. The LSR scare hell out of me! A very good friend was given one recently from an older lady that "just wants it out of the house"! Scope and rings AWOL, but mount present. He is away on business, but I will try to get info on it from him upon his return. And he wants to go back and give her something because thats the kind of guy he is!

Dave Roberts
08-01-2012, 01:11 AM
The Machined Ring LSR in RIA is a Original . Nothing Wrong with That One . Best Regards

Hercules
08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
The Machined Ring LSR in RIA is a Original . Nothing Wrong with That One . Best Regards

Yes, that is a nice rifle. I really like it. It is duffle cut, but it does have a matching scope. The High Turrets are junk in my opinion.

Brian

Dave Roberts
08-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Brian
The Mauser with DKL , Base Rifle is OK , But the Scope and Rings are Very Suspect . Numbers on Ring are not Typical to any I have seen or Have also DKL Scope is Post War if You notice NO Serial Number that`s Post War .

The Other Turret Stock has No Proof it should . Long Key Safety Suspect maybe Original Key Safety but I do not believe Original at time of Production . The Front Ring Numbers has Rifle Suffix at End , My Opinion Very Strange to be there and on a Late Turret I believe NOT . That said Early HT`s I have seen with Suffix on Front Ring but always Above and Middle of Serial Number . This can be seen in Spielauer`s Book .

The Machined Ring LSR is or was Bob Jensens , Its in Sniper Variations Book . Best Regards

Hercules
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Brian
The Mauser with DKL , Base Rifle is OK , But the Scope and Rings are Very Suspect . Numbers on Ring are not Typical to any I have seen or Have also DKL Scope is Post War if You notice NO Serial Number that`s Post War .

The Other Turret Stock has No Proof it should . Long Key Safety Suspect maybe Original Key Safety but I do not believe Original at time of Production . The Front Ring Numbers has Rifle Suffix at End , My Opinion Very Strange to be there and on a Late Turret I believe NOT . That said Early HT`s I have seen with Suffix on Front Ring but always Above and Middle of Serial Number . This can be seen in Spielauer`s Book .

The Machined Ring LSR is or was Bob Jensens , Its in Sniper Variations Book . Best Regards

I do not like the WaA 135 on receiver below scope mount. You are more of an expert than me, but I would not buy with much confidence here. The dkl scope is not war time. Yes, that LSR is good and I have seen it in book many times.

Brian

Dave Roberts
08-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Brian
I will take a look at it again ,Either way with amount of suspect issues I would not want to even think about bidding without in hand inspection . Best Regards

Hercules
08-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I do not really like the mounts on the Single Claw either. Sure the corners are rounded and the E on suffix looks like original. The workmanship on steel is not the same. Also, bluing looks new. That could be photo. The only one I like would be the LSR.

Brian

mjn
08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
I do not really like the mounts on the Single Claw either. Sure the corners are rounded and the E on suffix looks like original. The workmanship on steel is not the same. Also, bluing looks new. That could be photo. The only one I like would be the LSR.

Brian

The mount looks correct to me. Technically speaking, the corners on an original mount aren't rounded; they are beveled. This mount has the proper characteristics of an original filed edge. The SN stamping looks 100%, too. I wonder if the stock matches? It looks to have a lot of pitting on the take down disk which doesn't seem to jive with the condition of the blued parts.

Rock Island Auction is a minefield. They sell a lot of fake/restored sniper rifles, and nine times out of ten there is something wrong. How many times can they use "Extraordinary", "Magnificent", "Exceptional", etc. in their lot descriptions? The catalogers should be flogged for overuse of adjectives.

Hercules
08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
The mount looks correct to me. Technically speaking, the corners on an original mount aren't rounded; they are beveled. This mount has the proper characteristics of an original filed edge. The SN stamping looks 100%, too. I wonder if the stock matches? It looks to have a lot of pitting on the take down disk which doesn't seem to jive with the condition of the blued parts.

Rock Island Auction is a minefield. They sell a lot of fake/restored sniper rifles, and nine times out of ten there is something wrong. How many times can they use "Extraordinary", "Magnificent", "Exceptional", etc. in their lot descriptions? The catalogers should be flogged for overuse of adjectives.

I was looking at the mounts from the overhead view and did not like the comparison with a real one. I will agree the numbers and and letter on mount look convincing.

Brian