Third Party Press

Spandau 1913

PrayingMantis

So I won this on Gun Broker about a week and a half ago. Wasn't planning on buying it, but no one was bidding on it so I went for it. Bolt was sportered, which might have keep people away, also slightly mislabeled. Either way I got it for $205.

When I got it I was happy to find that the bolt was not matching. I took the striker assembly and screwed into a extra armourer's bolt body I picked up recently. The only bad part was that the wood has been slightly cut away so the sporter bolt handle to fit down. Irritating, but not serious. Think I'm going to cut a small piece of wood to fill in the cut, won't glue it though. Other than that it looks pretty good.

It is matched except for the entire bolt, rear sight leaf, floorplate/follower, front band, and cleaning rod (which is acceptance stamped). Interestingly, some of the acceptance look very similar to mid-war DWM, especially the Ʒ on the stock. Somehow, it has not been through a depot rework. Unfortunately it is not unit marked, but I can live with that, still a hard date to find. Barrel is rough, but I need to go shooting soon anyway. Not much else to say, overall I think it was a good buy. Here are the numbers:

SPANDAU 1913

Receiver SN 6484
Barrel SN 6484 K.R 64
Front sight SN 84
Rear sight SN 10
Sight Slider SN 84, 84, 84
Ejector box SN 84
Trigger Sear SN 84
Front barrel band SN 76
Rear barrel band SN 84
Trigger guard SN 6484
Trigger guard screws SN 84, 84
Floor Plate SN 92
Follower SN 92
Stock SN 6484
Handguard SN 6484
Buttplate SN 6484
Bayonet lug SN 84
Cleaning rod SN 77
Bolt body SN
Extractor SN
Safety SN 66
Cocking piece SN 66
Bolt sleeve SN 66
Extractor SN 66
Firing pin SN 66

Attachments

• Barrel Code.jpg
    Barrel Code.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Barrel Serial.jpg
    Barrel Serial.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Handguard Serial.jpg
    Handguard Serial.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 27
  • Lower Band Acceptance.jpg
    Lower Band Acceptance.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Lower Band Loop.jpg
    Lower Band Loop.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Lower Stock.jpg
    Lower Stock.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 22
  • Rear Sight Base.jpg
    Rear Sight Base.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Receiver Left.jpg
    Receiver Left.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Receiver Right.jpg
    Receiver Right.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Full Left.jpg
    Full Left.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Full Right.jpg
    Full Right.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Recoil Lug.jpg
    Recoil Lug.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Stock Acceptance.jpg
    Stock Acceptance.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Stock Channel Serial.jpg
    Stock Channel Serial.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Triggerguard Serial.jpg
    Triggerguard Serial.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Wrist Acceptance.jpg
    Wrist Acceptance.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Ejector Box.jpg
    Ejector Box.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
What a steal for a lousy $200!

Tough year, the database is inconsistent on this year, only 3 facilities made the Gewehr98 for sure, Mauser, Spandau and Amberg but Danzig is reportedly a producer. Mauser and Spandau are the biggies, but few exist compared to production estimates. Spandau is also reported higher than I can confirm..

DWM & Spandau would use the same inspectors.

From what I see it looks pretty original and i would rather have factory original over condition any day of the week.

Thanks for the information, Paul. What is the known high for Spandau in 1913? How many are reported? It was rather funny timing with this rifle; I saw a 1913 Spandau on Gun Broker, looked like the stock was messed with, then this one came up not long after.

Cyrus,

3434 d is the highest confirmed, there is a report of an high "e" block, 12 are documented, most a lot worse than yours... Both Mike and MauserBill have one also, roughly in the same shape, Mike's a little rougher.

Thanks for the information, Paul. What is the known high for Spandau in 1913? How many are reported? It was rather funny timing with this rifle; I saw a 1913 Spandau on Gun Broker, looked like the stock was messed with, then this one came up not long after.

Military Rifle Journal
Back