Third Party Press

Luftwaffe foot locker and...

BerlinerLuebecker

Thought I might post this here, as it's an unusual item to find its way to the states. I received this a number of years ago from my grandmother. It was her father's Luftwaffe foot locker, or so she believes. He was a WWI cavalry vet and either remained in service or was recalled for WWII and served as an officer with a Flak unit (he had been an officer during WWI as well). His name and station are on the lid (their hometown) and the sides of the locker are adorned with travel stickers from when the case was used to move household belongings to the US in the late 50s.
More interesting, perhaps, is what was since inside the locker. I'll post more detailed pictures later if there is interest, but if my guess is right, those are both his WWI cavalry boots, as well as his WWII boots, including their "holder". I'm lucky enough to have inherited a number of his uniform items (Schiff cap, medals, medalbars, belt, webbing) and having these boots is tremendously exciting. His WWI helmet and cavalry saber, though hidden in their attic, were discovered by GIs after the war and taken as souvenirs.

Attachments

• IMG_5655.jpg
    IMG_5655.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5656.jpg
    IMG_5656.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5657.jpg
    IMG_5657.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5658.jpg
    IMG_5658.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 59
Luft trunk

COOL! I was stationed in Bad Kreuznach. It is a really cool place. Ammo pouches and holsters were mad there in the war. The famous bridge houses still have a canon ball stuck there from some much earlier conflict. There is an airfield there but it was pretty much completely redone.

Military Rifle Journal
Back