Third Party Press

Is this K98 Sniper original?

ZF41 K98k

Firstly, apologies to everyone for the incompetence of this post, I don't really know a thing about K98 sniper rifles and their mounts and scopes, but I would like to try and find an original example, and also learn about them along the way! So, here are some pictures of an example that I have been offered. I was told by the seller that it is a 1939 dated mauser manufactured rifle, and that it is not russian capture. The scope mount has the matching serial number the gun, and the scope is marked 'Dr. Walter Gerard Charlottenburg M4x'. Any help is much appreciated, many thanks,
Patrick.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/PMD218/K98/

the pictures are not the greatest but I am inclined to say run away. you shouldnt be finding a LSR type setup on a 1939 dated rifle. You could only find this mount on bcd 4, bcd 45, or possibly on a ce 44. the scope also appears to be just a run of the mill post war hunting scope. The mount would appear to be one of the accumounts reproductions. but again, without clear, well lit, detailed pictures its hard to say for sure. But I will stand by my original statement that it is not an original sniper and was put together buy someone probably in the last 10 years or so.

8x57 M is on the money with everything he said..

Unless he wants 500.00 for it and you want a shooter....I would take a pass.

Thank you 8x57M and algalland for the help! At the time when he sent me the pictures, I thought about the miunt, and it having a matching serial number, is that common on original ones, or is it mainly on the fakes? Also, as mentioned, its a shame but this isn't $500, but $2000+ !!!!! Thanks again, I will definitely run! :laugh:
Patrick

glad to be of service. I paid $1,000 for one I have, but it was the correct type of mount with the correct coded rifle. still a repro but a fine example. dont hesitate to ask any questions and post any pictures you have before buying any sniper. we will help steer you in the right direction.

Military Rifle Journal
Back