Third Party Press

K98 'replica' sniper project

ZF41 K98k

Hello all,

I am thinking of getting an RC K98 to do a 'replica' turret sniper (this will be for my display only, not to be sold on as an original like many others do!). I do want it to be as accurate to the original as possible in terms of configuration, so I was thinking of getting repro mounts, but hopefully an original scope!

My questions are:

1) Would it be easier to do a high or low turret sniper, and what manufacture/year of K98 would be needed for each type of mount? Is it byf for LT and ce for HT??
2) Repro mounts, where to get good quality mounts?
3) Scopes - would it be easier/cheaper to find a scope for a LT or HT - or is there no difference?
4) Safety/bolt - does this have to be changed/modified so the scope will fit?
Thank you,

Patrick

Patrick,

The cad looks repro to me. I would stay away. Ask Dave Roberts, he might have a High Turret Scope. I would go with a byf 44 with a High Turret Scope personally. Also, get a early 44 as they did not have checkered butt plate. The ebay scopes would not look right in my opinion. Dave Roberts would have more info. Also, Robert Spielauer makes mounts that look good. The safety should be the short type, not a key. I am not sure where to get a repro of that.

Brian

Last edited:
Hi Brian,

I was leaning more towards LT, but I am open to anything. If I were to go for LT, what year/code rifle would I need? Also again with regards to an LT sniper rifle, would this have had a 'sniper' butt plate, and a different safety, or just standard butt and safety? Finally (be prepared - this is probably the most idiotic comment ever posted, I am sorry :facepalm:) how do you fit a scope into the rings of something like a HT or LT? I've read elsewhere that the scope must be disassembled, soldered etc. Is this the only way?

Thank you again for the ongoing help :thumbsup:

Oberndorf 39 to 43 should work for your L/T. JP Sauer rifles where used too if I remember right. As for the scope you have to take them apart to put them in the rings. If you plan to shoot the rifle a lot I personally would get a real scope instead of a repro. Have fun with your project. Vaughn99 did a L/T for me a couple of months ago and I really like the set up.

vaughn is definitely your go to guy on this....Did a Ht for a me a couple of years back.

Definitely avoid the repro scopes.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, much appreciated! :thumbsup: After looking into it some more, I have decided that I am going to do an LSR repro sniper on a BCD 4 K98 (which I think is correct?). May I ask if anyone has installed an LSR mount, or knows a site that I could look at to help me with the mounting process? Thank you once again for everyone's help! Patrick

Military Rifle Journal
Back