Third Party Press

Please help Identify

Hello everyone, Great forum and lots of info here. I have 3 firearms I would like some help Identifiying. I will post pictures and seperate the 3 threads. I am not a collector, nor do I ever see myself using these firearms. So with that please help me understand what I have, Thank you all in advance.

IMG_6630.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

IMG_6633.jpg

IMG_6631.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

IMG_6633-1.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

This one is a DWM Gewehr 98, standard rifle of the German Army in WWI. Can you take some additional pics of the other bits (bolt, bottom metal, bands, etc.) and whole rifle pics as well? Is the rear sight large and curved, or is it flat? I'm guessing it is the larger one from the bit of it in one photo...

the stock serial can be found on the buttplate, below the lower screw, and below the sling attachment. Your stock looks Saxon, it would be very interesting if it matched the rest of the rifle.

With that RR, it is most probably a 1917, though it would be good to be sure with pictures showing the date.

Yes, a Saxon stock, not likely matching-original though. Probably off a Simson or at least a Suhl maker, possibly a Dresden (never seen a Saxon cypher on a DWM before).

Thank you all, I appreciate the help and information each of you has provided. Would it be acceptable to ask what the approximate worth is on these firearms?

Thank you all, I appreciate the help and information each of you has provided. Would it be acceptable to ask what the approximate worth is on these firearms?

One last question before value can be determined. Can you take a picture of the buttplate? is the stock serial number matching?

As Paul said, since its Saxon it probably is not matching, but since it is not upgraded (thought it might be at first since the receiver is blued) that means the stock was likely put on well after the war. In that case, it's value would probably be in the $250-$300 area. Though the stock is very nice, if its not matching it halves the value of the gun.

Thanks, I will take a picture of he butt plate, although I don't recall it having any markings on it.

Check the underside of the buttstock as well. It may have a serial number stamped into the wood there. If you know how to disassemble the weapon, take a picture of the inside channel of the stock. The serial number may be stamped there too.

I was not able to take the gun apart, but I did look at the butt plate and low and behold it had a matching number. The bore looks very good with what appears to be deep grooves.

2012-08-20_17-56-21_174.jpg

Last edited:
This is good news, but you do not see the serial along the bottom of the buttstock?

I was not able to take the gun apart, but I did look at the butt plate and low and behold it had a matching number. The bore looks very good with what appears to be deep grooves.

Unfortunately the stock number does not match.From what others have said the were doubting it because of the type of stock, The stock number can be seen in the picture below, Thanks for the help guys.
2012-08-27_10-39-25_353.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back