Third Party Press

Used 1916 Simson Suhl Gew.98

Birdguy58

Here is one; 1916 Simson Suhl Gew. 98, a real battle rifle, been there-done that example. How I wish this one could talk! All the bluing is gone, even in the most protected areas. There is some pitting, much staining on the receiver, barrel and bolt. The trigger guard and floorplate reduced to a brown patina. The buttplate is probably in the worst condition, very pitted.

About 40% original finish remains on the stock. No import marks and appears to be all original matching with one or two questionalble parts. And no cleaning rod, although the nut is not stripped. Scrubbed out the bore to find deep rifling, but a bit rough, and no pitting.

I hope there is something here for trends, if I missed something in the photos or you need more information, I'll add it.

The stock actually appears to be sanded on one side, the side opposite of the bolt handle, what would account for this? My guess is from being slung cross shoulder, and marched for say 750km. or maybe just bouncing around in the back of a previous owner's pick-up. The barrel is also puzzling. See the photo of the front band pushed forward, I had expected to see some original bluing under the bands but not so, not even under the wood. Was it fashionable at one time to polish the barrel to white? No import marks, no export stamps, and no duffle cut.

See the cyphers on the buttstock, they are worn off also, hopefully enough is left to get a reading. But notice the B it appears a bit modern, doesn't fit with other markings, lacks the artistic scroll design. What does the B stand for?

Some statistics:

barrel, receiver, bolt handle, serial #6507f
stock, and handguard 6507
trigger guard 6507
floorplate and follower 07
front trigger guard screw 07
rear trigger guard screw missing, shucks!
front band, rear band 07
firing pin, shroud (weak), cocking piece, safety 07
extractor and collar both 07
trigger assembly 07
bolt stop 07
front sight 07
rear sight 7
rear sight base is not numbered.
buttplate pitted and worn, you can barely make out a half of 0 and a 7

Functional rifle but not real pretty, I sure am happy to get my hands on it!

Attachments

• Simson Suhl 033.jpg
    Simson Suhl 033.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Simson Suhl 039.jpg
    Simson Suhl 039.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Simson Suhl 040.jpg
    Simson Suhl 040.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Simson Suhl 041.jpg
    Simson Suhl 041.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 85
  • Simson Suhl 019.jpg
    Simson Suhl 019.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 91
  • Simson Suhl 031.jpg
    Simson Suhl 031.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Simson Suhl 027.jpg
    Simson Suhl 027.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Simson Suhl 010.jpg
    Simson Suhl 010.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Simson Suhl 015.jpg
    Simson Suhl 015.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Simson Suhl 036.jpg
    Simson Suhl 036.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
More pictures

Needed another post to add more pictures.

Attachments

• Simson Suhl 004.jpg
    Simson Suhl 004.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Simson Suhl 009.jpg
    Simson Suhl 009.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Simson Suhl 027.jpg
    Simson Suhl 027.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Simson Suhl 034.jpg
    Simson Suhl 034.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Simson Suhl 037.jpg
    Simson Suhl 037.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Simson Suhl 038.jpg
    Simson Suhl 038.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 40
  • Simson Suhl 042.jpg
    Simson Suhl 042.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Simson Suhl 043.jpg
    Simson Suhl 043.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Simson Suhl 046.jpg
    Simson Suhl 046.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Simson Suhl 052.jpg
    Simson Suhl 052.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 40
Well, nothing like starting off the afternoon with a Simson on the forum!

Your rifle is typical of Simson Gewehr98's, they are almost always found well used and a little abused.. apparently none were stored or used for guard duty! I have an "a" block a lot like yours, the stock is walnut on mine and not cleaned and the metal a little nicer but still heavily used and abused. Honestly, finding a 1916 Simson in high quality, attractive condition is darn tough.. 1917 Simson is easier but still much harder than the biggie makers (arsenals and DWM/MO).

The barrel is a Krupp steel barrel, pretty typical of Simson, most are of Krupp steel; not sure what's going on with the underside of the bolt sleeve though?

I would say that most likely the rifle was covered by rust or crud of some sort and someone got a little aggressive cleaning it up, but luckily they didn't ruin the rifle as it still is quite decent and a rather scarce maker/date. While during 1916 Simson made more rifles than any other year (more than 1917) they are not as easy to find as 1917 dated rifles and are almost always rougher condition.

The only thing you do not show that I trend is whether it has grips, it probably doesn't, they haven't been recorded this early in range but I would like to know if it has grips, just to make sure.

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 56
  • MVC-065F.JPG
    MVC-065F.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 48
  • MVC-023F.JPG
    MVC-023F.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 42
  • MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 48
  • MVC-090F.JPG
    MVC-090F.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 41
Oh, forgot about this question. The "B" stands for beech, it was a wartime expedient, the use of substitute wood. Just used to identify the wood used, - if it has nothing in this location, it is walnut, if "B" beech, it "A" maple as I recall. They used oak or elm too, I forget offhand but it is covered in Storz book.

Typically you only encounter walnut and beech, very rarely maple (MO mostly), and both can be encountered 1916-1918, beech slightly more common as the war progressed.

See the cyphers on the buttstock, they are worn off also, hopefully enough is left to get a reading. But notice the B it appears a bit modern, doesn't fit with other markings, lacks the artistic scroll design. What does the stand for?

Great find, Birdguy, thanks for sharing. Condition may not be the greatest, but it looks original and that is what matters. That is exactly the kind of Gewehr I look for (well techincally I look for any Gewehr, but rough and original is what I hope to find).

Overall views

The only thing you do not show that I trend is whether it has grips, it probably doesn't, they haven't been recorded this early in range but I would like to know if it has grips, just to make sure.

I completely forgot to add the photos of an overall view of the rifle, that might help. You can better see how the left side has been worn off.

Thanks SimsonSuhl for the info on the letter B. This one really bothered me. When I picked up the rifle I was shocked to see the B. Went straight home to my computer German to English translater. I looked up all kinds of words like 'reject' 'emergecy reserve' or my favorite 'DP' made this misstake a couple times; I can see it now, B is an anagram for Drill Purpose only in German. Beech-I'd have never guessed. What a relief! Thanks also for posting the photos of your rifle, nice piece! Excellent for comparison, what a great stock!

Attachments

• Simson Suhl 1920.jpg
    Simson Suhl 1920.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Simson Suhl 1923.jpg
    Simson Suhl 1923.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 59
Re:

Great find, Birdguy, thanks for sharing. Condition may not be the greatest, but it looks original and that is what matters. That is exactly the kind of Gewehr I look for (well techincally I look for any Gewehr, but rough and original is what I hope to find).

PrayingMantis, I hear you! I have read all of your posts, you have listed some of the most desirable Gewehrs I have ever seen! Please keep them coming!

Why is it that the side of the stock has the little crescent swirley marks? Mine has the exact same swirley pattern as well.

Philip Neidlinger

Military Rifle Journal
Back