Third Party Press

Model 1908 with scope

Bigsieuk

I've had this in my collection for some time and thought it about time to find out what it actually is. Can anyone help?

It is a UK deact (that explains the cross key deact marks)
It has a lot of "3" or "m" marks on most parts
It's DWM marked
Its a Voigtlander scope
The barrel has no rear sight nor has the woodwork been cut for such
I cannot see any crests on the rifle
It has a bayonet lug

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• P9050310.JPG
    P9050310.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 101
  • P9050311.JPG
    P9050311.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 80
  • P9050309.JPG
    P9050309.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 89
If you can do more pictures, ones that are larger and clearer, it would be helpful as I can't see any detail in these.

You might also try Gunboards Mauser forum.

scope is a Voigtlander from 1900/1905 period.
the mount is a modified post WW1 AKAH.this single lever type is usually seen on small bore or rimfire rifles.there are spacers added between the rings and mount body.the dovetail rail and fitting to the receiver are home made type parts.the spacers are likely home made too.
scope is raised up high maybe to clear the bolt.

1908 with scope

Many thanks.

This would seem to indicate that the earliest this set-up was put together was post WW1 and unlikley to have seen service during WW1? As most of the parts seem to originate in Germany would it be likely that this was created for military purposes?

I cannot find any exceptional markings indicating usage or service by any countries/armies. Though I haven't stripped the gun down completely to check the barrel.

Do you have any pictures of similar scope mount configurations with a date reference?

Also I haven't found any images of a 1908 without a rear site leaf?

Regards,

Bigsie

Military Rifle Journal
Back