Third Party Press

Afrika Korps Soldbuch

Peter U

Staff member
Hello,

Recently I added an Afrikakorps Soldbuch to my collection.
Bernd Hahnefeld (Dresden °1920) a student from Nossen was a Fahnjüncker (officer cadet) in the first battery of artillery regiment 4 (4ID) when this Soldbuch was issued.
After the campaign in Poland he followed an officers training in the “Waffenschule der Artillerie” in Jüterbog from October 25 ’39 till January 26 ’40, after finishing it he rejoined the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] battery of AR4 as a FhnWachtmeister (a NCO rank for officer cadets).
On May 1 ’40, just ten days for the invasion of the Low Countries, he got is commission and became a 19 year old lieutenant in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] batteryof Schwere Art Rgt 59.
This unit was equipped 15cm Schwere Feldhaubitzen, heavy howitzers and a part XXVII ArmeeKorps; in the first part of the Westfeldzug there heavy howitzers shelled the Belgian forts of Namur and the French bunkers of the Maginotline in the Conde (SF Escaut).
Already on May 31 ’40 he is awarded the EKII.
From the summer of ’41 till February ’42 there howitzers are on the northern part of the front in Russia as a part of the XXXXI AK; in this period he is awarded the EKI, ASA and the eastern front medal.
For the summer offensive in southern Russia of ‘42 there howitzers are assigned to the IV AK of the famous 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Army.
In July ’42 he gets wounded; a lucky wound because he is transferred back to Germany and thus escapes the total destruction of his unit in Stalingrad.
Besides to recuperate from an unknown wound for which he gets the wounded badge in black on October 27 ’42, he will also remain in hospital in Dresden till October 24 ’42 for tonsillitis and skin problems.
When he is fit enough for active service again he is also physically tested for service intropical conditions on January 27 ’43.
The previous day he has received his tropical equipment and on February 5 ’43 he lands in Tunis as an officer in the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] company of Marsch Batl 33 Afrika of the 15 Panzer Division.
The Afrika Korps is on the brink of total destruction and a few weeks later the last entries in his Soldbuch are made in March on March 20 ’43 by the logistical unit of the 21 Pz Div that pays him 240 Reichs Marks to compensate him for the loss of equipment he bought privately; and the final entry is made on March 31 '43 when he left field hospital 200 in Tunis after being treated for Angina.
Bernd Hahnefeld will not escape from Africa and forhim the war is over.

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• Scannen0001.jpg
    Scannen0001.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Scannen0002.jpg
    Scannen0002.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 31
  • Scannen0003.jpg
    Scannen0003.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Scannen0004.jpg
    Scannen0004.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Scannen0005.jpg
    Scannen0005.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Scannen0006.jpg
    Scannen0006.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Scannen0007.jpg
    Scannen0007.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Scannen0010.jpg
    Scannen0010.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Scannen0011.jpg
    Scannen0011.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Great stuff, thanks for sharing Peter. He saw it all, West, East, and Afrika.

Thats really cool. Everyone wishes their guns could talk, these documents pretty much do!

Thanks fellows!!!

Mauser202.
The Soldbuch doesn't give any detail on how he got to African soil.
I also must admit that I'am not a hugh expert on DAK and the campaign in Africa.

Jack944.
His name isn't mentioned on the German wargraves on-line list, although not 100% compleet I'am pretty sure that he survived the war.
Also his Soldbuch holds no clues to presume that he was KIA.

Cheers,
Peter

Military Rifle Journal
Back