Third Party Press

Unknown German Document?

Brian Kowalski

Grandpa Apfeltor
Staff member
This document came back in a recent WWII vet grouping, along with a Ukrunde for a Kuban Shield awarded to a
Gefreiten, Arthur Sieber, 10./Gren.-Reg. 213.

Does anybody know what this was for? Some type of official appointment letter?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 48
It appears to be the appointment to "Beamtenverhältnis auf Lebenzeit", some sort of permanent civil service. Germany still has them apparently. I think he is an attendant (Hilfswart) of some kind?

He was promoted to Amtswart. With that promotion he achieved the status of "Beamter auf Lebenszeit" => official for lifetime

Not much of an official. In the name of the Führer and Reichskanzler (very impressive), one Adolf Stammberger is being promoted from Hilfswart, or general dogsbody, to Amtswart, which is the equivalent of administrative assistant or office manager, in the office of the Bavarian Interior Ministry.

Jim

Not much of an official. In the name of the Führer and Reichskanzler (very impressive), one Adolf Stammberger is being promoted from Hilfswart, or general dogsbody, to Amtswart, which is the equivalent of administrative assistant or office manager, in the office of the Bavarian Interior Ministry.

Jim

How do you translate "Beamter"?
Do you know the German language, and the meaning of "Beamter"? Obviously not!
Our postmen used to be officials!
Mr. Stammberger maybe was something like a "general dogsbody", but he was an official. And with that promotion he achieved the status of an Official for lifetime.
Thanks

Hi, Amberg,

I am not German, but I know the language well enough to know that, like English, many words are subject to different meanings. But here are the duties of an "Amtswart/Amtswartin" from a German career opportunities web site:

(I don't accept responsibillity for the translation, which is by Google.)

Amtswart / Amtswartin
"CURRENT JOB

As of August 2012

Activities / tasks
Office waiting and waiting inside office contribute to orderly conduct of the administration, and are employed by private and public administrations. The type of activity depends on design and size of the business. Then is also directed their field. They monitor the party traffic, provide information, deliver the mail to the post office, and distribute incoming mail to the individual offices, do errands in and outside of the administration building, obtain copies and photocopies and distribute office supplies.
After office hours they control the rooms. For transport activities outside of the office building, they also use the service vehicle. Some of them are active as a porter / Portierin or telephonist / receptionist or accept basic maintenance and repair work on equipment and machinery."

While the holder of the postion would be a responsible person and, if working for the government, would be a civil servant in the U.S., I doubt he/she would rate the term "official" in English.

Jim

Military Rifle Journal
Back