Third Party Press

Unidentified Mauser .22

Hennie

Hi there everyone,

My name is Hennie, and I'm from South Africa.

I purchased my Mauser .22 from a friend of my father recently . He is now seventy years old. He inherited the .22 from his father, who got it when he was 8 yearls old - which makes that around 1950. He could however not tell me whether his father bought it new, or second han, or how old it is.
I have a few photo's. At first I thought it to be a Mm410B, but it has a big barrel (16.2mm), and the hinge for the shoulder strap is on the stock, and not the barrel. Then I thought it was a Ms350B, but the cartridge is right against the trigger guard, as opposed to the Ms350B where the cartridge fits further away. The stock is also lighter than the stock on other rifles. Otherwise it looks very close to the Ms350B.

It also has all the various markings it should have, as mentioned by other owners.

Here are a few photo's. maybe someone can help me identify the rifle and era is comes from.

Thanks,
Hennie

IMG00098-20120707-1330.jpg
IMG00152-20120918-0604.jpg
IMG00153-20120918-0604.jpg
IMG00156-20120918-0605.jpg

I had a look at the link hereunder, and it would seem that I have the exact same one as in the link. Could somebody maybe confirm?
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?5929-Mauser-MS420-clipfed-first-serie

Last edited:
You have a MS420

This is the earlier series prior to the B series coming out in 1933-34

It has been professionally restocked and reblued at some point in time.

S. Africa was a good market for Mauser exports and many of the early repeaters were sold there before the War.

Still serving after all these years and I imagine shoots very well.

A bit off topic for this forum as the focus here is German WWII related .22's but thanks for posting. Some of us here naturally always interested in the Mauser .22's of that era.

Thank you very much Mauser 22 for your help and reply.

You say its off topic - do you mean the board, or the whole K98forum? Not sure what you mean.

Yes, the Mauser rifle in general is very dear to us South African, as they were used by the Boers extensively in the war and in later years. Even to this day the Mauser is still a favourite, especialy with the new M03 available for hunting.

Regards,

.22's

no worries Hennie glad to have you and glad you found us. On the topic of the rifle is a very early MS series mauser .22 sporting rifle. Some where along the line a very nice monte carlo type stock has been added. Also have to agree its been reblued. Anyway, enjoy it for what it is. "A shooter"
These really arent trainers and were never designed as such. But, Some were pushed into serivce as such for the build up to war.. No way to proove it on any sporter unless its S/A or H/J marked ect..

Last edited:
no worries Hennie glad to have you and glad you found us. On the topic of the rifle is a very early MS series mauser .22 sporting rifle. Some where along the line a very nice monte carlo type stock has been added. Also have to agree its been reblued. Anyway, enjoy it for what it is. "A shooter"
These really arent trainers and were never designed as such. But, Some were pushed into serivce as such for the build up to was.. No way to proove it on any sporter unless its S/A or H/J marked ect..

Thanks.
Yes the idea is to use it to train my boy aged 8 to shoot better - also myself, as its a lot cheaper to shoot than my 30-06 Brno. My father's friend wanted to give it to me for free, but I just couldn't - so I insisted and gave him R1000 ($125.00) for it. It's shooting nice and straight. At least I wouldn't have to worry about originality when I fit a suppressor and scope. Would however have preferred to have the original stock.

Regards,
Hennie

No Problem

Always glad to see any German made .22 rifle from that era.

Even the ones exported with history outside our focus.

Happy others here feel the same.

Thanks again for posting.

Military Rifle Journal
Back