Third Party Press

Unusual 1938 JP Sauer?

Seems like an Armourer stock - not Sauer that's for sure.

Don't like the blue...

bad juju feeling with this one.

I could be wrong, but...

Sauer 1938

That is a re-worked JPS, with an early S/42K armorers stock, likely assembled and issued to the police.
Not a factory original gun and certainly not unfired being a rework.

e/p marking

as far as I know. no such stock marking excists for a police issue..Police marked rifles are e/k e/c e/L
and are usually small and on the bottom of the stock.. This rifle screams "I'm bogus" I had someone else ask me about it...You can have a lot more fun with 48 hundered bucks than buy this thing..
All the rifles I've seen him sell are humped to a slight degree or are just bad...:barf:

Poilice issue

This stock was made in 1934 and is a legit Oberndorf armorers stock.
The Weimar eagle is also correct. The majority of Weimar police unit marks as found on rifles
contained an 'S' as part of the unit mark (Schutzpolitzei). While the Eagle/P is plausible given tne period of stock manufacture its meaning in my knowledge base is unknown. Also The uncertainty is the late date military accepted action in that stock.

I will post pics of my K-date armorers stock fitted to an S/42 1936 action. While not E/P it does have a
similiar E/H side proof. For whatever reason, the service mark was stamped into these early 1934
replacement stocks. I have had one other stock with identical markings (E/H). This is the first instance of
the E/P side mark.

While unusual, I am not counting this one out yet.

Ed note: I edited this due to error on the 'P' versus the 'S' as part of the police unit mark (Weimar).The 'P' does show up as part of the unit mark, notably denoting a school.

Last edited:
This rifle screams "I'm bogus" I had someone else ask me about it...You can have a lot more fun with 48 hundered bucks than buy this thing..
All the rifles I've seen him sell are humped to a slight degree or are just bad...:barf:

I think it refinished, and it doesn't look period.

Reference pics

reference pics of E/H mark on S/42K armorers stock. Pic of E/P included for comparison.

Attachments

• DSC_0371[1].jpg
    DSC_0371[1].jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0372[1].jpg
    DSC_0372[1].jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 47
  • pix1485829937.jpg
    pix1485829937.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 48
Ive got a 1937 S/243 with a laminated stock that has one of those eagle stamps, Im guessing that means it's an armorers stock?

Attachments

• S_243_3.jpg
    S_243_3.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 39
stamp

Ive got a 1937 S/243 with a laminated stock that has one of those eagle stamps, Im guessing that means it's an armorers stock?

it's not the eagle we are questioning..its a perfect example of the weimar variation..Its the "P" and his
un-educated guess that it denotes police..As no evidence backs this up.. Maybe some one knows..But this seller does not...he's wrong on every k98 he lists...:laugh:

I'm thinking in this case the P means Pimped - seeing the metal is so woefully reblued (modern caustic reblue, DEFINITELY not the fine finish typical of a Sauer from that period)

One thing I noticed, is the TG, nary a WaA??? I can't believe that is normal for a 1938 gun, of course it may be a Sauer thing, but if the screws and lock screws have WaA, I would guess so would the TG....

One thing I noticed, is the TG, nary a WaA??? I can't believe that is normal for a 1938 gun, of course it may be a Sauer thing, but if the screws and lock screws have WaA, I would guess so would the TG....

If you look closely, there is a faded WaA on the trigger guard assembly.

I don't understand how there is an S/42K stamp if there is also a Police mark on the side of the butt stock. Comparing to my 1940 J.P Sauer & Son, the receiver and barrel appear to be in line but everything else just doesn't fit properly.

Police mark

I will backtrack on the Police issue. I have forwarded the marking to Jon Speed and he is checking with
his sources. I agree on the faint Wa marking on the TG.

Good stock but questionable action. Still this could be a legit rework but sitting on the fence for now.

I want to throw this out there for the discussion- some of the armorers stocks I see have a "P" marking on the bottom, usually along the keel. Perhaps the P on the side as this example has a similar meaning? From what I know to date nobody has figured out what that P marking means.

Stock

I want to throw this out there for the discussion- some of the armorers stocks I see have a "P" marking on the bottom, usually along the keel. Perhaps the P on the side as this example has a similar meaning? From what I know to date nobody has figured out what that P marking means.

i THOUGHT THE 'P' MARKING SHOWED UP ON THE EARLY LAMINATES..and there was a question as to they may of marked them to distinguish them apart..kinda like the large "B" on ww1 era beech stocks.

EVERY flat plate laminate stock I have is P marked on the keel just behind the pistol grip. I have it on 2 Borsigwalde e/26 stocks (one Luftwaffe, one KM), and on an Erma e/280 (Heer).

Here is a pic of the "P" right behind the pg of my 1941 duv...which is laminate, but hass a cupped buttplate....I don't think its an armorers stock, as it is s/n to match the rifle both on the keel, and inside the channel...

Attachments

• DSC00577.JPG
    DSC00577.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 17
My understanding is that armourer parts were unnumbered and, possibly, re-stamped to match by someone else. I have a floor plate and follower on a Gewehr 98 that are un-numbered.

Just a thought.

Military Rifle Journal
Back