Third Party Press

1915 Erfurt K98a

CM0087

Hi Guys,

Went to a local gun show last weekend, and one of the stalls there had a 1915 Kar98a.

It was a mis-match all over, with the butt plate painted a shade of black and the stock had been re-done with something. The bore looked pretty good.

K98a's don't seem to be around in any numbers down here ( first time I have ever seen one in the flesh) and I really wouldn't mind one. They wanted $700 AU for it, I considered it but decided to pass (promised the ball & chain I wouldn't buy anything, and for the above reasons)

Were they dreaming with that price tag?

Cheers,

Chris.:thumbsup:

$700 is excessive imo, probably not worth $400 here and in this economy, you might bring a sleeping bag and a good book to read (something thick like Atlas Shrugged or War & Peace..) waiting for a buyer.

You did right for the US market, the Australian market I can't say.

Hi Guys,

Went to a local gun show last weekend, and one of the stalls there had a 1915 Kar98a.

It was a mis-match all over, with the butt plate painted a shade of black and the stock had been re-done with something. The bore looked pretty good.

K98a's don't seem to be around in any numbers down here ( first time I have ever seen one in the flesh) and I really wouldn't mind one. They wanted $700 AU for it, I considered it but decided to pass (promised the ball & chain I wouldn't buy anything, and for the above reasons)

Were they dreaming with that price tag?

Cheers,

Chris.:thumbsup:

Cheers for the feedback,always appreciated. Was 1915 a big production year for the k98a? I know they made a heap of them towards the end of the war due to changes in tactical doctrin,all the ones i've seen on here or gun sales sites are 1914 or 1917-18 vintage. Cheers.

Sure, all the war years were large production runs for the Kar98a. Generally, production increased every year from 1914 forward, by 1918 Erfurt seems to have curtailed production slightly, probably to put more resources into the P08 & MG08/15, while Danzig geared up to renewed their production of the Kar98a.

My latest article on Erfurt, I placed the estimate of Erfurt production at roughly 312,000 carbines. This would increase significantly in 1916 & 1917, and be essentially sustained in 1918. That said, just because a lot of rifles were made in those years, do not mean "original" Imperial configuration rifles are plentiful. 1915 Erfurt's aren't all that common, when I was into them, early 2000's, before I found interest in Simson Suhl, I was never able to find a Erfurt/1915 I was happy with, others had them but I never found a really nice one. For every "nice" 1915 you will find, you will find 10 "nice" 1917 or 1918 Erfurt's...

Junk rifles are not uncommon, neither are restored sporters. Back in the day, the kar98a was a rifle of choice for sporters, they make very handy and light hunting rifles, I still have a couple I picked up cheap. They are incredibly light and handy, but this trait has taken a toll on surviving "original" rifles available.

Cheers for the feedback,always appreciated. Was 1915 a big production year for the k98a? I know they made a heap of them towards the end of the war due to changes in tactical doctrin,all the ones i've seen on here or gun sales sites are 1914 or 1917-18 vintage. Cheers.

interesting, I also have a 1915 ERFURT Kar98 and have often wondered how many were produced, 312,000 is a lot more than I would have thought,
it is a bit disheartening to read that they are not worth much, none the less I am still fond of mine,

Military Rifle Journal
Back