Third Party Press

Need identification help please.

andrew g

I am having trouble identifying this rifle. It may not even be a Mauser, but I figured someone here would be able to point me in the right direction. I have researched the best I can and still can't come up with a definitive answer. My main trouble is that the stock is different than anything I have seen photos of.

Above Breach = "Gustloff werke Waffenwerke suhl"
side of barrel = K.K. wehrsportgewehr
other side= kal 22 lang fur buchsen 224018

There are no other marking on the stock or barrel anywhere.
Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.
Andrew

Attachments

• rifle1.jpg
    rifle1.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 43
  • rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the info. Do you think they are the same rifle even though mine has a shorter stock and no marking on it?
Thanks in advance.

Andrew, it appears the stock of your KKW was severely reworked sometime in the past. Such things unfortunately happened to those wonderful rifles.

Likely done by the Vet

Yes it is unfortunate that so many were altered.

Not at all hard to understand if you get inside the head of some of those young men that paid so dearly for their souvenirs.

In my neck of the woods this was the fate of most of them and the 98Ks.

They earned the right to make lamps out of them if they so desired.

So I just hate to hear these referred to as "Bubba'd" rifles. Disrespectul to the men that paid for our right to possess, collect and enjoy them.

It is what it is.

Shoot it, enjoy it, keep your eye out for a rusty example or one that has a lost bolt, this would enable you to properly restore it one day.

Yes it is unfortunate that so many were altered.

Not at all hard to understand if you get inside the head of some of those young men that paid so dearly for their souvenirs.

In my neck of the woods this was the fate of most of them and the 98Ks.

They earned the right to make lamps out of them if they so desired.

So I just hate to hear these referred to as "Bubba'd" rifles. Disrespectul to the men that paid for our right to possess, collect and enjoy them.

It is what it is.

Shoot it, enjoy it, keep your eye out for a rusty example or one that has a lost bolt, this would enable you to properly restore it one day.

WOW! Jim, thanks for eloquently reminding us of this fact. It's really easy to forget this in our eager search for these historical artifacts. In a way, a "Bubba'd" rifle is like a "mum ground" Japanese rifle. i.e. Just another step in the history of the weapon. Like most collectors, I avoid Bubba whenever possible, but need to be reminded that these have value & meaning also.
Thanks for your words of wisdom..

sporter rifles..

you're rifle was sporterized.. The stock was cut back and takedown disc removed.. Yes collectors cringe when we see this.. But, it was probably done by the vet. There was a whole sub-culture of sporterizing rifles in the 50's and 60's there were books written and magazines available. I sometimes compair it to the hot-rod culture during the same period.. Cutting up perfectly good model a's and t's and 32 fords to make hot rods out of them.. Purists cringe at them im sure as well.. It only make the orig example more scarce and worth more. If they were all left alone there would still me a model t in every driveway...

Military Rifle Journal
Back