Third Party Press

WW1 Beutewaffen

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Anybody have any WW1 Beutewaffen they want to share? It's a subject I've not researched much but intrigues me somewhat.

a little to late..

I had a belgian 89 converted to 8mm mauser with the deutches reich stamp on the side of the stock.. Sold it to someone on gunboards a few years back for a good chunk of change..

I've got a couple of Russian M91's made at Tula in 1895 that have "Ad.Mz.Deutsches.R." ( Armeedepot Mainz - Deutsches Reich) stamped on the receivers. One bears a unit marking as well. One has the Deutsches Reich roundel stamped on the stock the other a large crown/W.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of Russian M91's made at Tula in 1895 that have "Ad.Mz.Deutsches.R." stamped on the receivers. One bears a unit marking as well. One has the Deutsches Reich roundel stamped on the stock the other a large crown/W.

The Germans converted many M91's in 8 mm for their navy troops in the first war.

The Germans converted many M91's in 8 mm for their navy troops in the first war.

Hi Bat,
Unfortunately these aren't the 8mm modified versions. They are still chambered for 7.62 x 54R and saw later service in the Finnish Army.

Len

Hi Bat,
Unfortunately these aren't the 8mm modified versions. They are still chambered for 7.62 x 54R and saw later service in the Finnish Army.

Len

Initial issues of Beutegewehr were to German Naval units in the Baltic. In return for turning in their Maxim machine guns and Gew 98 rifles, U-boats and other small naval vessels were issued Moisin-Nagant’s for the purpose of detonating floating mines until, by late 1915 virtually every small warship in the Baltic Fleet had three Beutegewehr on issue for these duties. In addition to shipboard use, a large quantity of Beutegewehr were issued to the land-based Marinekorps which anchored the German Army’s coastal flank in Flanders as well as to the Luftschiff (airship) detachment at Kiel. Many of these weapons will be marked to their respective ships or land units. At the same time that the Beutegewehr were alleviating the shortage of small arms in the Navy, they were also serving the same purpose in the German Army. Second line units, such ambulance, supply prison camp guards, railway units, and signals were issued Beutegewehr in order to free both Gew 98 and Gew 88 rifles for use by front line units. As with the Naval rifles, many of these will be marked (generally on the tang of the buttplate) with a unit marking.

The supply of Beutegewehr was so substantial and both the German and Austro-Hungarian armies had become so dependent on these weapons to augment their own production that the Moisins (and other captured arms) were overhauled by German and Austro-Hungarian ordnance facilities. German overhauled pieces are often marked "AZR" on the receiver and are also sometimes found with the cartouche of "Deutsche Reich" with an eagle in the buttstock - often over the original Russian stock cartouche. In addition, an indeterminate quantity of the Moisin Beutegewehr had their magazines altered and were rebored to fire the standard German 7.9 x 57mm cartridge. The Germans were not fond of the original Moisin-Nagant socket bayonet and - although an experimental socket bayonet was developed - a far more popular method of modifying the weapon was to cut back the fore-end of the stock and attach a sleeve like adapter to the muzzle to accept the standard Aushifsseitengewehr 88/98. Some Beutegewehr Moisins were also modified to take German blade bayonets by cutting back the forestock and adding a Gew 98 front band and bayonet lug. These conversions vary considerably in both style and quality and have been seen with both long bayonet lugs (standard) and short bayonet lugs (export). Another form of conversion was the welding of a bayonet lug to both the barrel of the weapon as well as to the original nosecap.

As with the Germans, the Austro-Hungarian armies had also captured enormous quantities of Moisin-Nagants from the Russians. These Beutegewehre were quickly issued to military police and other line of supply and communication troops in both Austria and Hungary. Many Austro-Hungarian Beutegewehr were rebuilt by the Artillerie Zeugs Fabrik in Austria and are marked "AZF" on the receiver and/or barrel. In addition, some Austro-Hungarian weapons were overhauled at the Budapest Arsenal and are marked with an "R" on the receiver. Beginning in 1916, The Austrians also experimented with converting the 7.62 x 54mm Moisin to the standard rimmed 8 x 50mm round by modifying and reboring the weapons. These pieces are marked "OEWG" either on the top of the receiver or beneath the chamber. In addition, many of the small parts will be marked with a "K" as was the practice with the Mannlicher Model 1895’s. Unlike the Germans, the Austrians did not attempt to alter the bayonet configuration of the weapon - opting for the original Russian triangular socket design. However, some Austro-Hungarian copies were manufactured and tubular steel scabbards were made by a variety of contractors. These may be distinguished by the presence of the standard stud found on the Model 1895 Mannlicher bayonets. Many are also marked with the Austro-Hungarian eagle.

Awesome post BATANGUENO, and great info. Is there a book out there with more information on WW1 Beutegewehr?

Initial issues of Beutegewehr were to German Naval units in the Baltic. In return for turning in their Maxim machine guns and Gew 98 rifles, U-boats and other small naval vessels were issued Moisin-Nagant’s for the purpose of detonating floating mines until, by late 1915 virtually every small warship in the Baltic Fleet had three Beutegewehr on issue for these duties. In addition to shipboard use, a large quantity of Beutegewehr were issued to the land-based Marinekorps which anchored the German Army’s coastal flank in Flanders as well as to the Luftschiff (airship) detachment at Kiel. Many of these weapons will be marked to their respective ships or land units. At the same time that the Beutegewehr were alleviating the shortage of small arms in the Navy, they were also serving the same purpose in the German Army. Second line units, such ambulance, supply prison camp guards, railway units, and signals were issued Beutegewehr in order to free both Gew 98 and Gew 88 rifles for use by front line units. As with the Naval rifles, many of these will be marked (generally on the tang of the buttplate) with a unit marking.

The supply of Beutegewehr was so substantial and both the German and Austro-Hungarian armies had become so dependent on these weapons to augment their own production that the Moisins (and other captured arms) were overhauled by German and Austro-Hungarian ordnance facilities. German overhauled pieces are often marked "AZR" on the receiver and are also sometimes found with the cartouche of "Deutsche Reich" with an eagle in the buttstock - often over the original Russian stock cartouche. In addition, an indeterminate quantity of the Moisin Beutegewehr had their magazines altered and were rebored to fire the standard German 7.9 x 57mm cartridge. The Germans were not fond of the original Moisin-Nagant socket bayonet and - although an experimental socket bayonet was developed - a far more popular method of modifying the weapon was to cut back the fore-end of the stock and attach a sleeve like adapter to the muzzle to accept the standard Aushifsseitengewehr 88/98. Some Beutegewehr Moisins were also modified to take German blade bayonets by cutting back the forestock and adding a Gew 98 front band and bayonet lug. These conversions vary considerably in both style and quality and have been seen with both long bayonet lugs (standard) and short bayonet lugs (export). Another form of conversion was the welding of a bayonet lug to both the barrel of the weapon as well as to the original nosecap.

As with the Germans, the Austro-Hungarian armies had also captured enormous quantities of Moisin-Nagants from the Russians. These Beutegewehre were quickly issued to military police and other line of supply and communication troops in both Austria and Hungary. Many Austro-Hungarian Beutegewehr were rebuilt by the Artillerie Zeugs Fabrik in Austria and are marked "AZF" on the receiver and/or barrel. In addition, some Austro-Hungarian weapons were overhauled at the Budapest Arsenal and are marked with an "R" on the receiver. Beginning in 1916, The Austrians also experimented with converting the 7.62 x 54mm Moisin to the standard rimmed 8 x 50mm round by modifying and reboring the weapons. These pieces are marked "OEWG" either on the top of the receiver or beneath the chamber. In addition, many of the small parts will be marked with a "K" as was the practice with the Mannlicher Model 1895’s. Unlike the Germans, the Austrians did not attempt to alter the bayonet configuration of the weapon - opting for the original Russian triangular socket design. However, some Austro-Hungarian copies were manufactured and tubular steel scabbards were made by a variety of contractors. These may be distinguished by the presence of the standard stud found on the Model 1895 Mannlicher bayonets. Many are also marked with the Austro-Hungarian eagle.

I've got a couple of Russian M91's made at Tula in 1895 that have "Ad.Mz.Deutsches.R." ( Armeedepot Mainz - Deutsches Reich) stamped on the receivers. One bears a unit marking as well. One has the Deutsches Reich roundel stamped on the stock the other a large crown/W.

I'd love to see them if you have photos. I'm going to include some WW1 Beutewaffen in the book covering the WW2 Beutewaffen that we will be doing (but not for a few more years :thumbsup:)

Awesome post BATANGUENO, and great info. Is there a book out there with more information on WW1 Beutegewehr?

Mr. Farb,

Here are some commonly available books in German on WW I era trophy rifles. Note that the titles of these publications is "fremlandische" or foreign rifles, not just captured or trophy rifles....

For WW I Austro-Hungarian trophy rifles:

1. "In der Stunde der Not, Fremlandische Gewehrmodelle in Osterreich-Ungarn 1914-1918" by Heino Hintermeier, VS-Books, 2003, 112 pages, ISBN 3-932077-19-9. (paperback) (Title translation: "In the Nick of Time: Foreign Model Rifles in Austria-Hungary")

2. Previous to this book, Mr. Hintermeier published most of this material in a series of 6-7 articles in DWJ.

3. "Merkblatter uber eigene und fremlandische Hand-und Faustfeuerwaffen" published by the Austro-Hungarian Army and their k.u.k Technischen Militarkomitee, Wien (Vienna), 1918. Unpaginated, no ISBN number. An A/H Army ordnance logistics manual with large and generous line drawings of all foreign and non-standard small arms used in the A/H Army of WW I. Importantly, the Merkblatter shows not only captured trophy weapons, by "non-trophy" weapons like older A/H Army rifles (single shot Werndl's, etc) and foreign contract rifles then in production at Steyr which the A/H Army sequestered soon after the war broke out. The most famous of these were the Model 1912 Mausers being produced for Mexico, Chile and Colombia.

The Merkblatter has been reprinted in recent years.

For WW I German trophy rifles:

4. "Fremde Gewehre in deutschen Diesten, 1914-1918" by (the late) Joachim Gortz and Wolfgang Finze, self-published in Germany in 2002, hardbound. ISBN # 3-8311-4609-8. (Note that this book includes weapons going back to the Franco-Prussian War, even Peabody M1867's made in Providence, Rhode Island.)

Regards,
John

Last edited:
7 m/m M.14 Repetiergewehre (mexicanische Repetiergewehr)

Here is a series of photos I took a few years ago right after I acquired this rifle. It is one of the rarest of WW I rifles, a unit marked M.14, the Austro-Hungarian designation for South American M1912 Mauser contract rifles taken into A/H Army service in 1914 for issue to the Tyrolean rifle corps, and second and third line troops like their "Landsturm". As you can see, the rifle's disc is unit-marked to the 91st (Austro-Hungarian) Landsturm Infantry Battalion. Note also that the quick detachable sling base in the buttstock has been replaced by a Mannlicher M.1895 rifle sling swivel.

None of these rifles ever went through the normal A/H depots so you will not find them marked "AZF" or stamped with the Bernheimer bear.
Regards,
John

Attachments

• DSCN8608a.JPG
    DSCN8608a.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN861a.JPG
    DSCN861a.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN8609a.jpg
    DSCN8609a.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN8611a.JPG
    DSCN8611a.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN8613a.JPG
    DSCN8613a.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN8615a.JPG
    DSCN8615a.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN8622a.JPG
    DSCN8622a.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN8624a.JPG
    DSCN8624a.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN8629a.JPG
    DSCN8629a.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN8632a.JPG
    DSCN8632a.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
John,

Thanks so much for the references, I am going to get those books and add them to the library.

That M.14 you just posted is awesome, and has to be rare! When the time comes, and if you wouldn't mind, that would be a great rifle to use in our Beutewaffen book as well. It's a great illustration of the story on how contract rifles from local factories get pressed into service during war, much like the Portuguese contract rifles from Mauser Oberndorf that ended up in use by the Wehrmacht in WW2.

Mike,
You're welcome to any rifle I have for the book. You'll have quite a challenge limiting "beautewaffen"! :) The definition can almost be boundless if you include rifles captured by US forces and allied forces.

Statistically speaking, the Mexican M.14 I just posted was most likely captured or surrendered by A/H units associated with the 1st Austro-Hungarian Infantry Division during the last 30-40 days of the war. This division was assaulted and overrun by the US Army's 29th Infantry Division on the morning of October 8, 1918 during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. At the end of the day, the Austrians were rolled back several kilometers and left a lot of equipment on the field.

Here are a few photos of a really grubby A/H Model 1895 straight pull Steyr Mannlicher long rifle which was found on the battle field that morning by a truck driver named O. B. Hall of the 104th Supply Train, one of the logistics/quartermaster units supporting the 29th ID. When I bought this, it was missing two thirds of its stock (but not the matching numbered butt!), bolt and all bands. Hall, who was a buck Sgt, is listed in the 29th's unit history. One of these days, I'll get off my duff and see if I can locate Hall's service records.
Regards,
John

Attachments

• DSCN7270a Verdun M95.JPG
    DSCN7270a Verdun M95.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN7273a.JPG
    DSCN7273a.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN6054a.JPG
    DSCN6054a.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN7275a.JPG
    DSCN7275a.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Rcvr bridge DSCN7287a.JPG
    Rcvr bridge DSCN7287a.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 34
  • Rcvr crest DSCN6053a.JPG
    Rcvr crest DSCN6053a.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 43
  • rcvr-barrel serials DSCN7282a.JPG
    rcvr-barrel serials DSCN7282a.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 35
  • stock number DSCN7280a.JPG
    stock number DSCN7280a.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 32
  • rusty lower swivel DSCN7294a.JPG
    rusty lower swivel DSCN7294a.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 28
  • WN 16 Acceptance DSCN6046a.JPG
    WN 16 Acceptance DSCN6046a.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
More WW I Beutewaffen

Here are a few more beutewaffen from WW I, including a Turkish M1887 cav carbine (5th thru 7th and last two photos) signed by a British soldier by the name of S. T. Carter and donated to the Royal Artilley Museum at Woolich, (which recently sold it off thru Christies as excess); a Lee Enfield (first four photos) captured by the Turks from the British Army at Gallipoli and later converted to 7.92 m/m using Mauser M1893 components; and two Romanian Mannlicher turn bolt M.1893's (8th thru 10th photos) captured (or taken from Steyr?) by the A/H Army and converted to 8x50R. These Mannlichers are in the collection of the Springfield Armory Museum and are part of the largest collection of WW I beutewaffen (over 200 pieces) that I know of. Virtually all of these are unpublished.
Regards,
John

Attachments

• DSCN8738a full length.JPG
    DSCN8738a full length.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN8745a.JPG
    DSCN8745a.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN8744a.JPG
    DSCN8744a.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN8751.jpg
    DSCN8751.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN9571a.JPG
    DSCN9571a.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN9576a.JPG
    DSCN9576a.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN9581a.JPG
    DSCN9581a.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 31
  • SA5E00~1.jpg
    SA5E00~1.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 39
  • SANHS_med_Romanian_M1893_marked_32LR_783_buttplate_.jpg
    SANHS_med_Romanian_M1893_marked_32LR_783_buttplate_.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 36
  • SANHS-med- Romanian-M1893_ A-H_captured-buttplate.jpg
    SANHS-med- Romanian-M1893_ A-H_captured-buttplate.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1288a.jpg
    IMG_1288a.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1285 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1285 - Copy.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hand-me-down Beutewaffen

Here are a few pictures I just took of two rare examples of hand-me-down beautewaffen. Each of these rifles is an Oberndorf-made Mauser contract rifle produced for Ottoman Turkey. Like the M.1887 cavalry carbine, they were captured by British (and/or French) in the Mideast theater of operations, likely at Gallipoli where period photos confirm that a number of M1890's were captured. Because the Belgian Army was very short of 7.65 m/m Mauser rifles, and because Ottoman Mausers like this M1890 and M1893 used the same 7.65 m/m round as the Turkish Army, an unknown quantity of these captured rifles were "handed down" :) to the Belgian Army early in the war. These were then re-conditioned, re-serialed and re-proofed, probably at the Belgian depot at Calais or maybe at their facility in Birmingham, England. Most important, the original Turkish sights were removed and replaced with M1889 Belgian Mauser sights.

Curiously, I have been looking for these rifles for 25 years, and found these two, just 6 weeks apart this summer! There is also a Model 1903 Ottoman Mauser converted by Belgium. Let me know if you know of one for sale. :)
Regards,
John

Attachments

• DSCN8587.JPG
    DSCN8587.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN8588.JPG
    DSCN8588.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN8589.JPG
    DSCN8589.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN8590.JPG
    DSCN8590.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN8591.JPG
    DSCN8591.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hello,
I only can add a German manual on foreign reifles being used in WWI
Thanks
Wolf

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 19
Hello,
I only can add a German manual on foreign reifles being used in WWI
Thanks
Wolf

Hi Wolf,
If I'm not mistaken this manual was reprinted in Germany 11 years ago, with modern commentary. It can be found in this book: "Fremde Gewehre in deutschen Diesten, 1914-1918" by (the late) Joachim Gortz and Wolfgang Finze, self-published in Germany in 2002, hardbound. ISBN # 3-8311-4609-8
Regards,
John

There's a good discussion of both Austrian and German use of Russian M91s in Wrobel, Drei Leinen.
BTW, Wrobel discusses 7,9x57 conversions of M91s and could find no indication of German use during WWI. All the ones reported have Turkish range markings added and it is assumed that they went to Turkey. Some years ago somebody on Gunboards published a photo of a Turkish machinegunner who may be holding one of the converted rifles - makes sense, since the MG belts he is wearing appear to hold rimless rounds.
It is entirely possible that not all of them made it to Turkey. I have one in my collection but don't know how it got to the US or where it came from.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back