Third Party Press

Fill me in on the G98/40 (cant find much)

Dr.Mauser

I just bought a G98/40, i know a bit about them, but not alot, and i cant find much online, can you guys please load me with info and knowledge?

Thank you all.

Dr.M

G98/40's are a German modification of the Hungarian 35M. The 35M has a straight-handled Mannlicher type bolt which cocks on closing and a split rear bridge with a single stack magazine protruding below the woodline in 8x56R caliber. The Germans changed it to 8x57 and gave it a Mauser style internal magazine. They also bent the bolt and adapted the fittings to accept their standard sling and bayonet. About the only part in common with the Kar.98k is the cleaning rod. The G98/40 was manufactured from 1941-44 and were all coded jhv. The Hungarians tweaked the German modified design to take their bayonet and sling, and this rifle was the 43M. I believe the 43M was manufactured from'943 until some time postwar. The 35M-G98/40-43M design is very reliable and serviceable, but the action is not as smooth as the Model 98 mostly due to the Hungarian rifle cocking on closing. How about some photos of your new acquisition?

It shipped yesterday from W. Virginia, tracking info says it'll be here on the 18th. The pics i do have are mine mixed in with the rest of the sellers collection. Mine is the second one in on both pics, the one with the striped buttstock

Attachments

• Stan's Collection (75).jpg
    Stan's Collection (75).jpg
    300 KB · Views: 61
  • Stan's_Collection_(77).jpg
    Stan's_Collection_(77).jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 57
Here are a few more pics as well :D

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 35