Third Party Press

Help with Mystery Weyersberg Bayo Please

BergerBoy

Hi Folks,

Could use a little help identifying this bayonet I picked up for "a song" on eBay last week.
Its a WW1 era Weyersberg, but no year or many other markings, and other than the maker's mark, I can't really tell its origin (or usage country).
I'm not too familiar with these types, and there seems to be several that look like this one, from various origins (German and non).

Based on the size and the presence of the muzzle hole in the guard it would seem to be for an 1888 Manlicher? So would that make it Austria/Hungary in pedigree?
Or would the Weyersberg maker really indicate this was German made for German use
Most of what I've read on the A/H bayo's were made outside of Germany, mostly at Steyr.
The only reference I can find of this size and configuration being German, was on the Gotavapen.se website catalog (quite nice site btw), which shows one like this under the M1871/84 model, with the blade length being correct, but the overall length being a hair shy. (see photo from their site attached)
Other classifications I've seen, show this as an M95 or M93, and maybe of Czech or Hungarian or even Chilean/Argentinian descent.

Specifics:
Maker's mark is "Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co. Solingen"
Opposite side cross piece has a "600" preceded by some unrecognizable symbol.
The spline has no date, just a "C".
No other marks other than on the unmatched scabbard which has a "B294" on the frog tang, and maybe a "C" on the ball tip.

Since this was a cheap-cheap "junker" I was considering getting it professionally sharpened and actually use it as a hunting knife. Pieces missing, etc, thought maybe the historical value was less critical to be preserving on this specimen.
(don't judge me too harshly if I want to use the tool for what it was intended for (at least the more benign uses)).

Would really like to know what I've got before I go and do that, even though I'm not at all hopeful that its anything more than a junker.

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• P1010294.jpg
    P1010294.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010298.jpg
    P1010298.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010299.jpg
    P1010299.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010300.jpg
    P1010300.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010306.jpg
    P1010306.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010301.jpg
    P1010301.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010302.jpg
    P1010302.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Bayonet M871-84  Gotavapen.se.jpg
    Bayonet M871-84 Gotavapen.se.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 22
This looks like a WWI German-contract M95 bayonet to me, except that the blade should be facing the other direction, unless I'm completely crazy. Will love to hear others weighing in on this.

The bayonet should be the chilean contract M1895 made by WKC, the scabbard is probably in normal chilean range, the bayonet is probably non Chilean contract, but it could smaller South american contract,or a Serbian M1899 piece, some collectors believe the C on spine, but i am on this sceptical. The new serials on right crossguard speaks for Yugo or turkish rework?

Thanks guys,

I'm thinking Chilean now also - although don't Chile 1895's have the Chilean crest and the 3 intertwined circles on the ricasso opposite side from the makers mark?
Picture referenced from WorldBayonets.com below.

And what about the "C" on the spine of the blade.
Andy - you were sceptical, but not sure of what?

And can anyone tell what that character is on the cross piece before the serial #?
Is that the actual character? Or was it some kind of partial or over-stamp?

Attachments

• B1083-4t.jpg
    B1083-4t.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 81
I was sceptical about the serbian connection of this bayonet, on guard is probably 8600 but the first digit was damaged or was removed. maybe there was a letter but this is not visible already.

I am still unclear as to the origin of this bayonet.
It has all the similarities to a Chilean contract, but no Chile markings, as I stated above.
There's another like it on eBay currently, with OEWG manufacture, and no Chilean markings as well.
Seems like there are few like this one that do not have the 2 "rivets" on the cross piece like most Austria/Hungary Mannlicher's, which would then indicate Chilean, except for the lack of the markings for Chile.
Where can I find the best resource for this bayonet's history, to solve the mystery?

Thanks!!

In Bayonets worlds exist some of similar unknown bayonets, prior to new info from archives or something similar its remain unclear, You should firstly looks for rifles of M1895 Mauser where they were delivered, so some small bunches to a small countries of South America are possible, i believe the production of this bayonet was very expensive, so it was done for short time, maximum to 1900, i would compare the dimensions with serbian M1899 bayonet, as the one possibility could be the deliveration to Serbia. I would compare the digits on crossguard with yugoslavian M48 or S84/98 reworks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back