Third Party Press

Original 1916 J.P. Sauer and Sohn

Nolano

Registered
Picked this up recently, and was directed here as a place I may be able to find some info. In the mean time though, thought you guys might like to see it.

http://imgur.com/a/N7Ex7

As far as I can tell, it was never re arsenaled and all the parts match.

yummy. Im sure SimsonSuhl will be along shortly to fill you in. Sauer in matching condition is not an easy find......:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Nolan!

Yes, this rifle is exceptional for JPS/1916, very hard to find this nice original-matching, though the recoil lug needs to be properly installed. The stock is totally original and probably the nicest thing going for the rifle, walnut with both features. Oddly enough the Suhl consortium firms were the first to regularly use both features, the old-timers (State Arsenals and commercial patent holders, MO & DWM) were a little tardy, especially the arsenals. It is also odd that while the take down is almost typical by this range, the grips are hit or miss, you would think it the otherway around. Anyway, perhaps it is the limited data available regarding "well documented original rifles" that accounts for the oddity of this fact. When you are talking dozens of rifles, even one can make a difference in how things are trended.

You asked in the email whether you should use anything on the stock, I would advise against it in the strongest terms, feed & wax, any other similar product will not help, it might make it smell better or look shiny, but it is detrimental imo, - and most experienced collectors agree. While such products might not harm value of the rifle, at least immediately or significantly, it certainly will not help in anyway. What is that doctors are suppose to practice, first do no harm, well that is good advice to rifle collectors too, - nothing wrong with your stock except the recoil is reversed. In my opinion you should not put anything on your stock, in some cases collectors use vaseline, after it has been warmed and separated, but I generally avoid this on nice original stocks like yours.

As for the metal, this is a tricky thing, it could use some 0000 (not 000) steel wool on the bright finished parts, but avoid it on the blued parts, use bronze if needed on blued, also use a quality gun oil, most collectors use Kroil. Just whatever you do, be deliberate, think and go slow, if unsure, stop and think about whether it is worth the risk of making it worse. Right now the rifle is worth a lot, $1500 at least, probably more at auction, possibly a lot more as there are a lot of guys that need this maker in this condition. It is one of the hardest wartime makers to find this nice. Rushing through a cleaning, being harsh or careless can chop hundreds of dollars off the value in a matter of minutes. Be especially careful where markings are worn or weakly struck, do not make the parts too bright or shiny polishing them, these will kill value quickly..

Much depends on what you wish to accomplish, if it is a family heirloom, something important to the family or yourself, you might take minimal preservation steps, to keep it this nice, but if you want to sell it, do nothing and you will make more money as the guy who will be willing to shell out the cash this will pull on Gunbroker will want to do the cleaning himself.

Glad that you came to the two forums and shared your wonderful rifle with us all!

Military Rifle Journal
Back