Third Party Press

Mauser Gew 98 1900

Yellowstone

Here's some photos of my Gew 98. I would love to say it's all matching, but that's not the case. The bolt is a renumber and the bands don't match. Yes the stock appears to have been sanded. i just liked the early date. Overall it still looks pretty good.

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 92
Here's some photos of my Gew 98. I would love to say it's all matching, but that's not the case. The bolt is a renumber and the bands don't match. Yes the stock appears to have been sanded. i just liked the early date. Overall it still looks pretty good.

Very nice and rare gewehr 98 stamped on the receiver from Mauser in the year 1900,
a question,is the rear sight going untill 400 or 200 meter?
the Germans change the rear sight for the spitze munition about 1905 of all there rifles who where already made.
i have a naval model of 1899 mauser from Erfurt where the orginal bottom of the orginal rearsight still on is and go's to 200 meter. ,i thing your rifle the stock is not orginal,can be a repair from the war,that can be the case here too of not matching numbers.

The sight is a 200 meter. Yes I believe the stock is a replacement , most likely done when it was rebuilt along with the bolt renumber.

Really nice looking rifle, pretty hard to find them this early too. While Mauser Oberndorf made the Gewehr98 1898-1918, the only manufacturer to do so, their early production wasn't very high, nor are the survival rates. 1906 was the first year they made many Gewehr98's, before that their rifles are hard to find in any condition... oddly enough though, the few early rifles you do find are often this nice, not sure why though.

Can you do a clear picture of the right receiver acceptance?

The change to S Patrone occurred in 1903, no 1904 Gewehr98 that I have seen has a 200 m rearsight.

Here's a couple of more photos. Proofs and rear sight base.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 63
Really nice looking rifle, pretty hard to find them this early too. While Mauser Oberndorf made the Gewehr98 1898-1918, the only manufacturer to do so, their early production wasn't very high, nor are the survival rates. 1906 was the first year they made many Gewehr98's, before that their rifles are hard to find in any condition... oddly enough though, the few early rifles you do find are often this nice, not sure why though.

Can you do a clear picture of the right receiver acceptance?

The change to S Patrone occurred in 1903, no 1904 Gewehr98 that I have seen has a 200 m rearsight.

the change was between november 1904 and august 1905,traveling kommissions of the factory's from Spandau (for Prussia) and Amberg (for Bavaria) must look and bore out the barrel chambers from the already made gewehr 98 rifles,they got for one rifle 4 minutes and every kommission must do 800 rifles on a day.
Bore out the conus between the barrel and chamber and stamping them with an S and also put the "7,9 " on it .
All the rifles with 7,95 or 7,96 must go back to the factory's to get a new barrel.the changing of the sights was done from 1 oktober 1905 by the local regimental gun repair units.(truppenbuchsenmacher) this is written in the book "Die Deutschen militargewehre und maschinenpistolen 1871-1945" by Hans Dieter Gotz

The change occurred in 1903 (April 3,1903 to quote Götz, page 134), all newly made Gewehr98's starting in 1904 were made for the S patrone.

As to your translation of Götz, his comments are available to English speaking collectors, he discusses this process on page 136. The comments that you are quoting are about the conversion of rifles made 1898-1903 (and all Gewehr88 still in service).

You will not find an originally manufactured 1904 or after dated Gewehr98 with a 200 meter rear sight base.

the change was between november 1904 and august 1905,traveling kommissions of the factory's from Spandau (for Prussia) and Amberg (for Bavaria) must look and bore out the barrel chambers from the already made gewehr 98 rifles,they got for one rifle 4 minutes and every kommission must do 800 rifles on a day.Bore out the conus between the barrel and chamber and stamping them with an S and also put the "7,9 " on it .All the rifles with 7,95 or 7,96 must go back to the factory's to get a new barrel.the changing of the sights was done from 1 oktober 1905 by the local regimental gun repair units.(truppenbuchsenmacher) this is written in the book "Die Deutschen militargewehre und maschinenpistolen 1871-1945" by Hans Dieter Gotz

Last edited:
The change occurred in 1903 (April 3,1903 to quote Götz, page 134), all newly made Gewehr98's starting in 1904 were made for the S patrone.

As to your translation of Götz, his comments are available to English speaking collectors, he discusses this process on page 136. The comments that you are quoting are about the conversion of rifles made 1898-1903 (and all Gewehr88 still in service).

You will not find an originally manufactured 1904 or after dated Gewehr98 with a 200 meter rear sight base.

Sorry about this miss understanding ,but I think very few are still existing,in my long collector career, i have never seeing one over 1901 ,mine is from 1899 Erfurt and have on the markingplate on the buttstock "III.S.B. 2.199." third see batallion,Tsingtao, Gouvernement Kiautschau , a German colony in China.A base for German warschips in Asia.
in 1914, with British assistence, it was captured by the Japanese.
the headquarter home base was in Germany in Coxhaven .
Unfortunately the former owner of my rifle has removed the plate of the boat where my rifle was serving on,
taught the notes S.M.S.where Britisch markings.I have this gun about 35 years and its ....demilitarised by Belgian gun law on that time (removal of the chamber 180°) 98 action rifles where on that time not free here,a very sad thing offcourse now on this days.

Sorry about this miss understanding ,but I think very few are still existing,in my long collector career, i have never seeing one over 1901 ,mine is from 1899 Erfurt and have on the markingplate on the buttstock "III.S.B. 2.199." third see batallion,Tsingtao, Gouvernement Kiautschau , a German colony in China.A base for German warschips in Asia.
in 1914, with British assistence, it was captured by the Japanese.
the headquarter home base was in Germany in Coxhaven .
Unfortunately the former owner of my rifle has removed the plate of the boat where my rifle was serving on,
taught the notes S.M.S.where Britisch markings.I have this gun about 35 years and its ....demilitarised by Belgian gun law on that time (removal of the chamber 180°) 98 action rifles where on that time not free here,a very sad thing offcourse now on this days.

some picks of the rifle

Attachments

• mauser.JPG
    mauser.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 444.JPG
    444.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 63
That is indeed a wonderful rifle to have survived, even if demilitarized; such early rifles are very uncommon. Recently several KS (Colonial) rifles (with original 200 m sights) have come forward from my website, from South African owners; one was in extraordinary condition, still fully functional too. Unfortunately, the new order in South Africa places these rifles in danger. One owner told me that upon his death, the rifle must be destroyed, they are not usually transferable and no museum has any interest in them. He is trying to get his rifle, probably one of the best ones still in existence, transferred to his son who lives in Germany. It will be a tragedy if the rifle is destroyed; it is a wonderful original-matching rifle.

Currently, I am working on creating an article on the KS rifles (Kaiserliche Schutztruppe or Imperial Defence Forces, but essentially Colonial Forces), which will also be part of an expansion of my website. It is a very dated website, Gewehr98.com, and we are going to update it and create two new sections, one on Imperial Naval rifles and one on the Colonial Service rifles. The Colonial section will feature this rare rifle from South Africa. Naturally, the article will run in the MRJ in a more complete form, largely based around my trends work, everything previously written, - significantly relying upon CB's numerous outlines on the topic, who has agreed to help where he can and this one rifle from South Africa.

Regarding your rifle, I assume this Erfurt/1899 is a first block rifle, no suffix in the serial number? So far all Erfurt/1899 rifles are in the first block, no "a" blocks have been recorded? Is yours an 8000 block rifle, looks like it might be, (8708, but maybe 5xxx), if it is an 8000 block or higher, it would be the highest so far recorded. This is the only early 3rd Seebataillon so far recorded, quite a rifle to own!

That is indeed a wonderful rifle to have survived, even if demilitarized; such early rifles are very uncommon. Recently several KS (Colonial) rifles (with original 200 m sights) have come forward from my website, from South African owners; one was in extraordinary condition, still fully functional too. Unfortunately, the new order in South Africa places these rifles in danger. One owner told me that upon his death, the rifle must be destroyed, they are not usually transferable and no museum has any interest in them. He is trying to get his rifle, probably one of the best ones still in existence, transferred to his son who lives in Germany. It will be a tragedy if the rifle is destroyed; it is a wonderful original-matching rifle.

Currently, I am working on creating an article on the KS rifles (Kaiserliche Schutztruppe or Imperial Defence Forces, but essentially Colonial Forces), which will also be part of an expansion of my website. It is a very dated website, Gewehr98.com, and we are going to update it and create two new sections, one on Imperial Naval rifles and one on the Colonial Service rifles. The Colonial section will feature this rare rifle from South Africa. Naturally, the article will run in the MRJ in a more complete form, largely based around my trends work, everything previously written, - significantly relying upon CB's numerous outlines on the topic, who has agreed to help where he can and this one rifle from South Africa.

Regarding your rifle, I assume this Erfurt/1899 is a first block rifle, no suffix in the serial number? So far all Erfurt/1899 rifles are in the first block, no "a" blocks have been recorded? Is yours an 8000 block rifle, looks like it might be, (8708, but maybe 5xxx), if it is an 8000 block or higher, it would be the highest so far recorded. This is the only early 3rd Seebataillon so far recorded, quite a rifle to own!

rifle number is 5205 ,no suffix ,all parts have this number,sorry the picks are not that good

Attachments

• gewehr 98.jpg
    gewehr 98.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 43
  • gewehr 98 2.JPG
    gewehr 98 2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 12222334.jpg
    12222334.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 43

Military Rifle Journal
Back