Third Party Press

A very rare German helmet

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
Got this lid today. One of the rarest German helmets: a German modified Dutch M34. The German mod consisted of the removal of the Dutch liner and replacing it with a standard M31 liner. This was done using three brackets riveted to the helmet, two short brackets in the rear and one long in the front. The liner was then installed backwards and secured with German split pins. Like every other example, the liner is a 1943 B&C (Biedermann und Czarnikow), Litzmannstadt. Size is 64nA/57. Unfortunately, the leather is missing and the inner band has some damage probably from an botched attempt to remove it. Luckily the outer band is mostly fine. The Dutch Lion badge on the front of the helmet was also removed, and the helmet painted in late war textured feldgrau paint. You can still see the outline where the the badge was removed, and the original green Dutch paint is peeking out in a few places.

At least some of these helmets were apparently intended for the Eastern European volunteer units (Schuma, etc.) in the Baltic, Belorussia, and Ukraine. There is evidence of this as several Dutch helmets have been dug up in the Baltic with Schuma decals. Some suggest that some of these may have been provided to Romania, though this is probably incorrect. The Romanian M39/42 uses a German leather liner, but the attachment method is different.

Attachments

• tn_Left.jpg
    tn_Left.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 109
  • tn_Right.jpg
    tn_Right.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 74
  • tn_Rear.jpg
    tn_Rear.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
  • tn_Inside.jpg
    tn_Inside.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 80
  • tn_Badge.jpg
    tn_Badge.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 68
  • tn_Liner BC.jpg
    tn_Liner BC.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_Left Rear Bracket.jpg
    tn_Left Rear Bracket.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 59
  • tn_Right Rear Bracket.jpg
    tn_Right Rear Bracket.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 48
  • tn_Front Bracket.jpg
    tn_Front Bracket.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 55
Rare indeed. The first one I've ever seen, and I claim to know a little about helmets. Where did this come from Ryan?

Stumbled upon it on eBay. Seller out of Pennsylvania said it had belonged to his father forever and that was about all he knew. I've asked him if his father served in the war but haven't heard back yet.

Would you leave it as is, or would you add leather and/or replace the damaged inner band?

Last edited:
Vet bringback with the M.42, same 1943 B&C Litzmannstadt liner band and same RBN maker chinstrap as the M.42 which has the same paint, brought back at the same time.

Attachments

• M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (5).jpg
    M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (5).jpg
    180 KB · Views: 46
  • M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (6).jpg
    M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (6).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 51
  • M.34 Dutch Ger. rework.jpg
    M.34 Dutch Ger. rework.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 47
  • M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (1).jpg
    M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (1).jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 45
  • M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (2).jpg
    M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (2).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 57
  • M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (3).jpg
    M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (3).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 46
  • M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (4).jpg
    M.34 Dutch Ger. rework (4).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 49
Those are both cool. Ryan, I'd put some leather in there. It's just naked without it!

You inspired me Ryan. Had I not seen your post I would not have recognized this helmet for what it was. It sat unsold at WAF for $600. I think it worth more and more interesting than a regular M.42.

Military Rifle Journal
Back