Third Party Press

M.35 reissue, repaint, named (another one)

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Inspired by Mauser99 I just purchased another M.35 overpaint, named. These are some of my favorites. This is an early one and seen some combat use. The feldpost nr. is for Nachrichten-Regiment 537, which was identified as an "intelligence" and "signals" regiment. It fought on the Eastern Front and interestingly was the unit blamed by the Soviets for the Katyn Massacre.

Attachments

• Copy of WW2-M35-ET64-German-Army-Helmets-H22.jpg
    Copy of WW2-M35-ET64-German-Army-Helmets-H22.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Copy (2) of WW2-M35-ET64-German-Army-Helmets-H22.jpg
    Copy (2) of WW2-M35-ET64-German-Army-Helmets-H22.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Copy (3) of WW2-M35-ET64-German-Army-Helmets-H22.jpg
    Copy (3) of WW2-M35-ET64-German-Army-Helmets-H22.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 41
m35

great lid... another one that breathes. No doubt was worn for a long period of time by its original owner.. Ive been very lucky lately and will try to post some more this weekend..

HB's lid is an m35 with either a 38/39 reinforced aul liner band orig period liner.. Field overpainted hand applied. Tricolor looks to have been removed as I see no crazing of the overpaint. The heer alder has been nicely painted around... All around A winner..

Last edited:
None rarer than that rework you posted Ryan. Never seen one before, and I look for stuff like that. I believe my favorite helmet is the M.35 rework/overpaint. Back in the day I wished I had bought old ugly combat used named and FP marked helmets instead of "mint" ones. I focused on 99% decal and paint, other than camos, which luckily I was into, and those are almost always heavily used. Back then ugly old camos and wire helmets were not nearly as "cool" as "mint" ones :googlie I like "mint" helmets, but they really have no personality or "soul".

None rarer than that rework you posted Ryan. Never seen one before, and I look for stuff like that. I believe my favorite helmet is the M.35 rework/overpaint. Back in the day I wished I had bought old ugly combat used named and FP marked helmets instead of "mint" ones. I focused on 99% decal and paint, other than camos, which luckily I was into, and those are almost always heavily used. Back then ugly old camos and wire helmets were not nearly as "cool" as "mint" ones :googlie I like "mint" helmets, but they really have no personality or "soul".

That is militaria collecting '80's style.
:laugh:
The era of decal digging.:googlie

Interest have changed and more and more collectors are interested in the personal history behind their item.
A mint helmet is nice to look at but most likely it spend the entire war in depot or belonged to some desk jockey well behind the frontline, a helmet that has been used for what it was made wears the marks of it.
Personally I to like the overpainted M35 the most, this was the standard helmet most German combat soldiers wore.
Having some extra information like a Fp number or even the unit written out compleetly makes the object researchable.
- Just a warning, I have seen several helmets which had fake unit information written in them simply to jack up the price of mediocre lids.

Cheers,
Peter

PS: Nice helmet Hambone!
:thumbsup:

named lids..

this is true Peter Im always leary of named lids. Its just something you need to feel and judge the ageing of the paint. I was slightly leary of the one I bought as it was done so neatly.. No doubt the guy had some time on his hand. The markings are so obscure I really dont think someone would dream up that combo.. Most a done more haphazardly like the one h.b. just grabbed. Applied in the field by hand with a brush.

nice one HB! I was thinking of buying the M40 luft he had listed below it. that one rings my bell. are his prices set or does he generally work with you?

Pretty set price Bigd. I got free shipping. I felt OK with the price though I didn't steal it. I felt the extra was worth it because of that big ole name and FPN.

Military Rifle Journal
Back