Third Party Press

Early Shooting Book

JoeW

I found an early German shooting book dealing with small caliber shooting. It was odd, as in one set of photos, the DSM 34 seemed to be pictured here:

Anleitung1.jpg

Yet most of the other photos illustrated a totally different rifle. From the looks of the bayonet mount and the stacking lug, it seemed to be a G98 look-alike.

Anleitung2.jpg

Does anyone recognize it as a particular .22 trainer?
What is interesting is that the book mentions the "Deutsches Sportmodell 1933".

Awsome find!!!!!!!

Great stuff. Jon turned up some of the same photos when he did "Small Bores" but I had never seen those top three photos. They appear to be standard configuration DSM and different gun than lower photos. Can't tell if the bolt is straight or bent in those pictures but note the absence of finger grooves, band configuration, length etc.

The bottom appears to be the prototype DSM.

I think it likely these photos were done early in development but at a point when the arrangements to mass produce were all set.
All that coincides with the reference to 1933.

The actual production guns were changed subsequent to more closely emulate the K98K. At this point, likely the decision to adopt the K98K in that form was still pending so this gun emulates the Standard Modell and or Gewehr 98b. Speculation based on logical assumptions, can't take that to the bank. Were we able to see serial number on lower gun I would wager it has a V prefix.

Fantastic and thanks for Sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Joe, is this the cover of your copy? I have the same pictures in my copy, though I don't know if it was published earlier or later. I believe there is a good discussion of cleaning kits and cleaning processes in the version I have.

book1.jpg

book8.jpg

book7.jpg

Joe, is this the cover of your copy? I have the same pictures in my copy, though I don't know if it was published earlier or later. I believe there is a good discussion of cleaning kits and cleaning processes in the version I have.

Yes it is the same edition that you have. If I may ask, how did you achieve such an excellent reproduction of the photos? Mine do not reproduce as well, so I must surmise it is my procedure.

Yes it is the same edition that you have. If I may ask, how did you achieve such an excellent reproduction of the photos? Mine do not reproduce as well, so I must surmise it is my procedure.

Joe, I've found the best way to reproduce photos from lower quality images is to take a high resolution digital photo of them. Scanners seem to multiply that dot matrix printing that you have on yours (at least that's my method).

Following courtesy of Jon Speed

From his edition

Attachments

• P1060135.jpg
    P1060135.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 31
  • P1060136.jpg
    P1060136.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 20
Joe, I've found the best way to reproduce photos from lower quality images is to take a high resolution digital photo of them. Scanners seem to multiply that dot matrix printing that you have on yours (at least that's my method).

Thank you for the suggestion.

For reproducing halftone photos, same technique as Michael, digital camera and a touch or two in photoshop. For the engravings, digital scanning works for me. To get large format prints of targets and such, I have to do considerably more photoshop wizardry.

Military Rifle Journal
Back