Third Party Press

luft head gear. early lid late visor..

mauser99

Always been a fan of luft stuff.. I recently picked up an early luft d.d. snake leg droop tail helmet. Only to have another thrown at me at a low price. Now I have two. Also Ive had this visor for a while. I bough it cheap and it was missing the eagle. After two allentown shows I found the perfect match. Late war zinc eagle to match the cockade.. It was a little harder than I thought.. Most are aul. and dont look right with a late visor. Now its complete. Sorry for the crappy indoor shots but daylight is scarce.. Also most all early luft lids are unit marked and named.. Ink stamped on the inside of the liner. Anyone care to decypher this for me ?? Oh, also this one is so early it has the 1st. version of the m31 liner thats 31 dated and has the maker mark on the leather vs the band.. This lasted one or two years. Ive only seen them 31 dated though..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 19
visor

late war un-marked example.. apears un-worn. It never made it to the party...

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 11
Don't see any unit over at ww2.dk that fits the mark, but St.K is probably the Stabskompanie (HQ).

Nice early Luft helmet

I always liked the first design Luft eagle better than the later one. Beautiful helmet!
Any one know why they changed the design? Emmy Goring didn't like the droopy tail?.

eagles..

there are two versions of the droop tail.. snake leg or curved leg. then the straight leg. According to Ken N's book. the snake leg was used till 37ish then the straight leg was used and even overlaps through the 3rd variant in 1939..
I think the 3rd variant just look meaner..Maybe they were trying to toughen up their image ?
I wouldnt put my finger near that beak...

Attachments

• exposure.jpg
    exposure.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Toughen up their image

Yes, the 3rd version eagle does have a more pissed off look to it. Luftwaffe guys were probably tired of being called girly-men by the SS dudes in their black suits, skulls and lightning bolt collar tabs!:googlie

Military Rifle Journal
Back