Third Party Press

Potential purchase: matching 1916 M/O Gew98

plymouthmauser

I'm still searching for my one matching Mauser, and may have found a candidate at the Plymouth gun show today

Gew98
Mauser Obendorf
SN: 811a
All matching down to the screws, without dismounting and stripping the bolt
Very good bore
Nice wood, great clear cartouches and numbers, not duffel cut, small chip out of right pistol grip
Good bluing, especially on barrel
Light freckling on white metal
Unmarked stock disk
Original rear swivel mount but no sling
Reproduction cleaning rod that doesn't make it all the way down (1cm short, soggy feel; probable obstruction)

Sorry no pics.

Asking $795? Too high?Haven't started any negotiations yet. Never had an all matching one...

PM

Sounds like a neat find! I'm not terribly informed on relative scarcity of codes, but I've been watching matching Gew 98s in your described condition go for substantially more than the $800 he's asking.

It is a reasonable price if everything is solid, no sanding or cleaning of stock is key. It is not a great maker-date, pretty common for non-arsenal makers in 1916, probably about even with DWM, maybe a little more common.

These days it is tough finding matching-original for under $800, even common makers, if you have the cash available and the condition is there (appearance too) then it is certainly worth picking up, but examine the stock very closely, as it is the key point where this could be a good or bad deal.

If you get it, I would like to see it, top-right-left receiver and stock acceptance. Good luck!

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back