Third Party Press

18VGD "Battle of the Bulge" Soldbuch

Peter U

Staff member
Hello fellows,

Tomorrow morning it will be 68 years ago that operation “Wacht am Rhein” started and I though it was a good idea to post one of my most typical battle of the bulge Soldbucher.

Adolf Spanner (°1924) was a farmhand from Seefeld in Austria;he started his military service in August ’44 and after his basic training he was assigned to the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] company of Grenadier Regiment 294 of the 18[SUP]th [/SUP]Volksgrenadier Division.
Just before the offensive started he was issued a MP44 and a snow camouflage jacket “Schneehemd”.
In the early hours of December 16 the grenadiers of GR294 moved up between Roth and Weckerath and they took the American troops by surprise in Auw.
The nextday commanded directly by their divisional commander, General Hoffman-Schönborn and backed by some Stug’s they attacked Schönberg and captured the Our river bridge.
On December21 GR294 attacks the strategic important town of Saint Vith from both sides of the Schönberg road and they managed to take the town, it was their big victory.
Their nextgoal is to take Stavelot but they fail and the whole offensive comes to a halt and the 18VGD is pushed back to the place from where they started the offensive.
It is during this second phase of the battle of the bulge that Adolf Spanner is hit by shrapnel; on January 17 ’45 he is admitted in to the field hospital in Pütschen(Bönn), two weeks later he is transferred to the field hospital in Reutlingen and finally in April ’45 to Lauingen to end the war in hospital.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 22
A few yearsago I visited Prümerberg, the hill on which the Schönberg road is located.
There are stillplenty of foxholes, artillery positions and shell holes visible in the woods,remainders of the units of the 106[SUP]th[/SUP] Infantry Division (the goldenlions) that defended this hill.

Saint Vith was bombed compleetly flat during the battle of the bulge and after the war an entirely new town had to be build.

Attachments

• DSC02834.jpg
    DSC02834.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02836.jpg
    DSC02836.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02837.jpg
    DSC02837.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02839.jpg
    DSC02839.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02841.jpg
    DSC02841.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02842.jpg
    DSC02842.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02844.jpg
    DSC02844.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02845.jpg
    DSC02845.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02847.jpg
    DSC02847.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02849.jpg
    DSC02849.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 20
As always...

...great information here!:thumbsup: I will have to get out my Battle of the Bulge, Then and Now book by Jean Paul Pallud and find some photos of the area you mention.
Thanks for posting.

Peter,

I read every one of your posts since I joined this forum. This is the first time I've replied. I'm mostly a "lurker" here and trying to learn. Please keep posting your Soldbuchs. A very interesting history lesson every time.

I so look forward to these posts. They combine history, information about the people involved (the people get lost in the big picture), and great technical information. Current pics of the battlefields are cake icing. It really gives us a first person idea of what it was like. Thank you Peter!

...great information here!:thumbsup: I will have to get out my Battle of the Bulge, Then and Now book by Jean Paul Pallud and find some photos of the area you mention.
Thanks for posting.

The book JP Paullud wrote about the battle of the bulge is one of the best currently available; actually it is a must have for all those that are intrested in this battle.

P

Thanks fellows for the positive reaction.
:thumbsup:

Indeed these Soldbucher put a face on what otherwise would be rather anonimous soldiers that are lost in the big picture.
It was like the Germans had collectors in mind when they handed out Soldbucher to their soldiers.

P

Military Rifle Journal
Back