Third Party Press

Trying Again - G33/40 dot 1942 Help

Here are pictures of the rifle I inherited from my great-uncle who told us he picked it up off of a dead Nazi. It has been sitting in my parents' closet for 40 years. My dad varnished the stock when it was given to him by my great uncle. Other than that, nothing has been done to it. What is the best way to preserve it? The SN on the bolt lever and the receiver match. Here are pictures:

DSC00698.jpg
DSC00699.jpg
DSC00701.jpg
DSC00705.jpg
photo (4).jpg
DSC00710.jpg
DSC00709.jpg
DSC00712.jpg
DSC00703.jpg
DSC00707.jpg

You'll notice the word "Scott" carved into the butt. My great uncle was A.C. Scott and he's the one who carved it, if that helps.

The best way to preserve it would be to give it to me:laugh: Nice rifle. I have used denatured alcohol to get teh shelack off of r/c rifles, I dont know how it will work on yours. I would just leave it as is and oil all the metal parts and enjoy it.

If it was mine, I'd at least strip the varnish off the metal and get rid of the light rust with some bronze wool and ballistol. The stock was sanded and the receiver got scratched up and some of the blued finish is gone. It was varnished with the action still in the stock which has protected it a bit. I might even strip the stock of varnish as well but that's just me. Keep it well oiled and enjoy. Others may chime in...

Thanks guys. Any idea of its value? I have no clue. Is it enough to insure?

I could'nt venture a guess without seeing it with the action out of the stock and seeing the internal condition. It's is missing the original cleaning rod and front sight hood which can set you back a good chunk of $$ if you can find them, rare bits to be sure.

Military Rifle Journal
Back