Third Party Press

147 1938 m block

THunter

Not much to say except its all matching and was cut for a sight hood. Unfortunately sandpaper touched the wood along with some stain/BLO at some point in time. Not sure when it was done but it looks like a old job. Only one waff on the stock is still minty and its on the wrist.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 40
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 8a.JPG
    8a.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 8b.JPG
    8b.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 8c.jpg
    8c.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 8d.jpg
    8d.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 10a.jpg
    10a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Last pics:

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 41
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 39
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 43
Not much to say except its all matching and was cut for a sight hood. Unfortunately sandpaper touched the wood along with some stain/BLO at some point in time. Not sure when it was done but it looks like a old job. Only one waff on the stock is still minty and its on the wrist...odd thing is that there is sanding marks that lead right up to the edges of it but its still minty?

Damn.....what did he use ...80 grit?

Plus it looks like there was no rhyme or reason to his madness....short little strokes in every direction possible..

Still a fine lookin rifle though....would be proud to own it..

Course its just me, but since the damage has been done I would be trying to rectify some of the sins commited against that stock if you were so inclined....probably woudnt hurt the value any...I dont guess...

With the right stuff ,and the right touch you could alleviate a lot of the glaring examples and give it a more uniform look.....and would probably look pretty good to boot.....woudnt return it to unmolested value , but it would get rid of the gouges that so strongly detract from the overall look of the weapon.

Just a thought...

Still a nice piece by virtue of the metal alone...

TH great pics, thanks for posting! Sot this is an "m" block and is 214 accepted. My "t" block is mostly 37. Do we know when the changeover was made?

There was some overlap, but around the "g" block things began to change, by the "i" block most have dropped the "S", - of course just an observation, and with more examples this could change.

Nice rifle overall, and though distracting, the stock is still alright. Regarding fixing the sanding, the one thing I have learned about fixing things? It hardly ever turns out better fixing metal or wood surface problems. Sanded will still be sanded and noticeable, and re-blued can be removed but sure won’t make it look better in most cases.

I think, generally, what you have is what you are stuck with as it relates to surface issues. But of course it’s his property and anything he decides is perfectly his right.

TH great pics, thanks for posting! Sot this is an "m" block and is 214 accepted. My "t" block is mostly 37. Do we know when the changeover was made?

After saving the data and a re-read, I realized I misunderstood the question!

e/214 gives way to e/37 around the n-o blocks, some overlap with both being found but e/37 is fairly consistent around o-p blocks on most finals and assembly acceptance positions.

After saving the data and a re-read, I realized I misunderstood the question!

e/214 gives way to e/37 around the n-o blocks, some overlap with both being found but e/37 is fairly consistent around o-p blocks on most finals and assembly acceptance positions.

Thanks Paul! Actually, with regards to dropping the "S" prefix, you answered that question before I asked it!!!

Yeah definately a shame about the wood. I dont understand why people need to 'improve' something. I dont know what this person was trying to achieve but there is absolutely no logic to the direction of the sand marks. I took a chance on this one through an auction with less than perfect pics. Im happy with the metal, but not too content with the wood. Oh well, Im just going to leave the wood how it is. I figured Id do more harm than good. Whoever did the sanding and refinishing didnt take the action out of the wood. The wood in the barrel channel is virgin and unstained. Even the triggerguard is coated in original rifle grease.

Any idea on what level the front sights were cut for the hoods? I assume It was done while the rifle was turned in for repair work?

Last edited:
Hard to say, unless you have clues to a visit to an ordnance workshop or depot? As I recall, nothing stood out for any rework or repair?

I would assume such work as adding a sight hood slot could be done at a rather low level ordnance shop- many levels existed apparently, from larger HZa, HNZa, HMa & HNMa in Germany (HMa are normally not associated with repair work but they are believed in some cases to have done such work- there are also the LW & KM facilities) to ordnance staffs and various field level establishments (including ss and police which there were at least 50 plus throughout the occupied areas..)

Unless you have some clues (parts replaced, acceptance) no way to tell where or how as the German military had a huge number of facilities and this is a rather simple thing (front sight slot) I would think?

Any idea on what level the front sights were cut for the hoods? I assume It was done while the rifle was turned in for repair work?

Military Rifle Journal
Back