PDA

View Full Version : Volume II schedule

mrfarb
12-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Ok, lots of talk about Volume II now that Volume I is out. I can tell you that it won't be before the spring of 2016. It's going to take some serious recovery after this book to catch our breath, plus patch up the marriages enough to do the next book. :moon:

gewehr hund
12-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Take all the time you need and request all the help you need once you are ready. Merry Christmas.

mto7464
12-22-2012, 08:28 PM
...............................thumbsup:

CanadianAR
12-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Id love a gun in the book! That would really immortalize a collection.

mrfarb
12-22-2012, 09:31 PM
We love using as many rifles from as many different collections as possible. One problem though, many times the photos we receive are just not good enough for print. We are at the level that we require very high quality images, and in some cases we have multiple rifles with similar quality images to choose from, and we have to choose the one that fits the typical example the best.

With this next book we will probably do some more travelling around the country for photos. Plus, we have photographers who have learned exactly what we are looking for in different parts of the country, and will ask that person to meet someone for pics of their rifle (or accessory). Sometimes our busy schedules don't allow us to make it to the far ends of the country, and we end up using a collection/collector that is closer and more convenient. We had several really great collectors offer us access but our regular work schedules just didn't allow us to make it - we do have 9-5 jobs after all, and travel is sometimes a burden.

One good thing, this next book will be easier to do in that regard, as there are many more 39-44 rifles to choose from, and better condition rifles. Some codes will be difficult, such as ax/ar dual codes, etc. We've actually secretly been working on Vol.II and it's just about done. Ok, that last pat was not true.:laugh:

12-22-2012, 11:21 PM
We love using as many rifles from as many different collections as possible. One problem though, many times the photos we receive are just not good enough for print. We are at the level that we require very high quality images, and in some cases we have multiple rifles with similar quality images to choose from, and we have to choose the one that fits the typical example the best.

With this next book we will probably do some more travelling around the country for photos. Plus, we have photographers who have learned exactly what we are looking for in different parts of the country, and will ask that person to meet someone for pics of their rifle (or accessory). Sometimes our busy schedules don't allow us to make it to the far ends of the country, and we end up using a collection/collector that is closer and more convenient. We had several really great collectors offer us access but our regular work schedules just didn't allow us to make it - we do have 9-5 jobs after all, and travel is sometimes a burden.

One good thing, this next book will be easier to do in that regard, as there are many more 39-44 rifles to choose from, and better condition rifles. Some codes will be difficult, such as ax/ar dual codes, etc. We've actually secretly been working on Vol.II and it's just about done. Ok, that last pat was not true.:laugh:

This. I know I had a few that were candidates for I but I just couldn't get the pic format down to look better than a 1st grader was taking the pics.:googlie

Pat
12-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Just got both I and III for Christmas and I can't wait for II! You guys are like collector-grade dope dealers!

Pat

gebirgsjager
12-30-2012, 03:06 PM
WHAT? WHERE IS MY COPY OF....oh he was joking? THATS SICK! I have a byf 44 that came from a motel buy....and it just did NOT leave the factory! And a beauty of a dot44,and a low turret byf43....Mike says "NOT YET YOU GUYS!" Seriously, great book guys. The history,the photos. Just excellent.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Anything we can do to help, there are VERY few of us on this forum, that would not be willing to help in any way we can....whats that Honey? NNNNOOOO? Y NOT? Ok. There are fewer of us than I thought. Again, congrats.

sheepdog
01-06-2013, 12:23 AM
2016 is too soon, I won't be through with I and III yet.

gebirgsjager
01-15-2013, 09:08 PM
There are sheepdogs....there are sheep....... and there are wolves! Are you that kind of sheepdog?

Albayo
02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
I just purchased Volumes I and III from Mike Steves and they arrived Friday.
It will take some time to go through them due to the amount of information involved.
I expect it will take a major amount of time to put the wartime K98's in a proper credible volume.
I just hope I am alive long enough to add it to my collection.
There are books out there that are quickly put together just to sell to the general public who know very little about the subject. They are useless to serious collectors because some of the information is incorrect. I find once mistakes are found it reduces the trust I have in the book.

I started with the "Mauser" book by Olson, then the Collector Grade series Volume I & II, and The Mauser Military Rifles by Ball. For me each are good in their own way, providing different photographs and bits of information for an overall study of Mauser rifles.

Just checking out this site and learned about two more books I would like to purchase. I am planning to work on purchasing two volumes by Doctor Storz, they are "Rifle and Carbine 98, 1898-1918", and "German Military Rifles 88 and 91 Firearms".
I understand the book "Rifles and Carbines 98, 1898-1918" is a tough read due to the translation.

mto7464
09-18-2014, 08:04 AM
I would be happy with just one of my serial numbers making it in the book. (my ar 42, ce 42,):thumbsup:

mrfarb
09-18-2014, 09:01 AM
We have a lot of work left to do on this next volume, and have only scratched the surface on what we need from contributors. That last book nearly killed us and almost caused multiple divorces. :facepalm:

pzjgr
09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
We have a lot of work left to do on this next volume, and have only scratched the surface on what we need from contributors. That last book nearly killed us and almost caused multiple divorces. :facepalm:

Mister, what kind of priorities do you have?????

Whats more important...98k's or wimmens????

mrfarb
09-18-2014, 10:29 AM
I have to answer that carefully...

gebirgsjager
09-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Answering is not the problem, answering correctly is! Wimmens.....mostly! lol

mto7464
09-30-2014, 05:36 PM
wit out the wimmens there wood be no chillins. So wimmens more impotent.:thumbsup:

pzjgr
09-30-2014, 08:04 PM
wit out the wimmens there wood be no chillins. So wimmens more impotent.:thumbsup:

What about once you gots the chilluns?

mto7464
10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
What about once you gots the chilluns?

then comes the gran chilluns

Rogerbutthead
11-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Recovering from heart attack number three, hope to read VII before I depart.

Kinda like that movie, The Five Year Engagement - the longer you wait to get married - the less chance your grandparents will make the wedding. LOL

We be old farts.

Just kidding, I greatly appreciate the work you have done on VI and VIII.

Thanks - feeling much better than before if anyone wanted to know.

pzjgr
08-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Ok....we are heading into the downward slope of 2015....any updates???

Maybe a hint of when in 2016, early, middle, late....salivating uncontrollably....

Hopefully, if all goes well, in a little more than a week, my family will be heading to Dallas for good...

Then I can stalk Farb...he's not too far from there....sorry I won't be able to have Bruce back in the mancave here...but onto greener pastures!

bkavanaugh
08-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Looking forward to the release date as well.

mrfarb
08-29-2015, 01:08 PM
I guess I can update- we have quite a bit of work done on the book, but a lot more work left to do. We spent ourselves doing Vol.1 on such a short time schedule, and this one is taxing. But, we are working on it and we do hope to have it ready for sale sometime in 2016, but probably the end of 2016.

Bruce and I work on it every weekend - and during the week at time permits. Even when we aren't working we are lining up images from people or taking them. This book is probably going to be the biggest of the set, and is taking a ton of work to do. Once finished, it will be well worth the wait!

pzjgr
08-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Hmmm, maybe you'll have to publish volume II in two volumes....:laugh:

Shootin Shack Guns
08-29-2015, 01:56 PM
I went on the 3rd party sight to purchase the book and saw the signed /#'d volume 1 and 3 set. If I bought it are you going to offer volume 2 with the matching # so I have a complete set? After collecting axis for so long I have a thing about matching #'s. Thank you

mrfarb
08-29-2015, 02:01 PM
I went on the 3rd party sight to purchase the book and saw the signed /#'d volume 1 and 3 set. If I bought it are you going to offer volume 2 with the matching # so I have a complete set? After collecting axis for so long I have a thing about matching #'s. Thank you

Yes, we did that with Kriegsmodell too. When the new books come out there will be a place on the order form to put in your serial number so we can match it up.

mrfarb
08-29-2015, 02:02 PM
Hmmm, maybe you'll have to publish volume II in two volumes....:laugh:

I did do the cover art last week, I could post it but I'm afraid it would make you think the book is closer than it is. :googlie

D-K
08-29-2015, 07:16 PM
I did do the cover art last week, I could post it but I'm afraid it would make you think the book is closer than it is. :googlie

You should ask the guy who ran Gunbroker 497697925 if you can use this image of his 42 1940 for the cover.

mrfarb
08-29-2015, 08:24 PM
You should ask the guy who ran Gunbroker 497697925 if you can use this image of his 42 1940 for the cover.

That rifle has been secured for Vol.4, "Karabiner 98k MEIN GOTT, DIE BUBBA"

Warrior1354
08-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Are you taking pre orders then for Vol.4 Farb.

jack944
08-30-2015, 01:40 PM
I'll trump your stinking matched books.... I want my shipping container to match too !!!!:moon:

mrfarb
08-30-2015, 02:51 PM
What is printed now is all there will ever be - we have taken delivery of the last of the books from the printers and when these are gone, that's it. Not sure at this moment how many total numbered sets there are though. Numbered boxes? Probably even less. :thumbsup:

Albayo
08-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I am patiently waiting for the next volumes come out.

StG Jager
12-19-2015, 10:37 PM
I also am patiently waiting

bkavanaugh
01-02-2016, 03:57 PM
I guess I can update- we have quite a bit of work done on the book, but a lot more work left to do. We spent ourselves doing Vol.1 on such a short time schedule, and this one is taxing. But, we are working on it and we do hope to have it ready for sale sometime in 2016, but probably the end of 2016.

Bruce and I work on it every weekend - and during the week at time permits. Even when we aren't working we are lining up images from people or taking them. This book is probably going to be the biggest of the set, and is taking a ton of work to do. Once finished, it will be well worth the wait!

Looking forward to the release.

S/42
01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Don't care if the number matches the other 2, so long as I get a copy :)

Though, I still keep trying for book Nr. 69.... fun for everyone.

reich1900
01-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Waiting to buy mine too. My number is 026a and my 70th birthday is in April, you think I could give it to myself as a present?:laugh:

nascar6829
02-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Ok, lots of talk about Volume II now that Volume I is out. I can tell you that it won't be before the spring of 2016. It's going to take some serious recovery after this book to catch our breath, plus patch up the marriages enough to do the next book. :moon:

I am new to this forum and I can't wait for Vol. II . I was very excited to come across this news. Hopefully the book will be very informative and answer alot of questions. My rifle was a bring home but a mix match of #s

Centurion
03-21-2016, 08:51 PM
I am the proud owner of both Volumes 1 and 3 and am patiently awaiting the publication of Volume 2. I have ordered two copies of each book, and I donate one copy to the PO Ackley Gunsmithing School book collection at Trinidad State Junior College, in Trinidad, CO. They have a huge collection of gun-related books, going back more than seventy years, but have limited funds to purchase new material to add to their publication holdings. I would encourage anyone who has the means to do so to donate new or used books to this library. I know that the students value this resource!

bkavanaugh
03-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Anything on the horizon?

reich1900
03-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Waiting to buy mine too. My number is 026a and my 70th birthday is in April, you think I could give it to myself as a present?:laugh:

29 more days until my birthday will I get volume 2? :faint:

mrfarb
03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Won't be before the end of the year, worst case is 1st qtr of next year.

reich1900
03-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Won't be before the end of the year, worst case is 1st qtr of next year.

Guess I'll have to wait until my 71th birthday:facepalm:

bruce98k
09-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Ok guys here is an update on our progress.
Work is proceeding well and we have targeted the end of year to be at 90% or better.

This one is going to be big as we have projected page count at the maximum size our printer can cover, between 660-685 pages.

Thats about all I can cover now as its going to be a busy 6 months completing this monster.

Thanks for all the help from our forum members!

Bruce and Mike.

pzjgr
09-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Hey you guys thinking of publishing this as a single volume? Or breaking it up into two? More expensive I am sure, but maybe easier to read?

If it's one volume, will be looking forward to getting my arm workout while I read....:thumbsup:

mrfarb
09-04-2016, 09:42 PM
It's going to be 1 volume.

plymouthmauser
09-04-2016, 10:17 PM
When do we pre-order?:happy0180:

T

gebirgsjager
09-20-2016, 08:39 PM
I know the wives will be happy its done... and will you guys.

John F.
10-10-2016, 03:46 AM
I have been very impressed with the quality of volumes 1 and 3, and can't wait for Vol. 2 to be published!! Thank you guys for what has to have
been a huge amount of work!

One suggestion: If Vol. 2 could be split into 2 books (Vol. 2A, Vol. 2B, or?), the binding would undergo much less stress and the books would hold
up better. I'm sure we would be very happy to pay extra for them to be in 2 volumes. These books are so well done that it would be a shame to
have one self-destruct prematurely due to size and weight!

In any case, thanks VERY much, and we sure appreciate your contributions to the field!

Sincerely,
John

mrfarb
10-15-2016, 12:15 PM
We don't want to split the book into 2 - that would nearly double the print cost and buying cost for everyone. Besides, we are using a top quality US printing and binding company that makes college textbooks. We spend more money on high quality paper and machine sewn binding so it will NOT come apart from repeated use.

Bruce and I are getting close. Our original intention was to have the book ready for sale by December, but it's just an impossible task. If we weren't working full time jobs we could do it, but we have to eat and pay bills so off to work we go. If you know someone wanting the 3 volume set, they may not want to wait until Vol.2 hits. We are getting low on Vol.3 Kriegsmodell books, and are done with printing of Vol.1 and 3. I suspect Vol.3 will sell out soon after Vol.2 rush is over, with Vol.1 selling out sometime next year. We are not printing any more, this is it. When we do offer Vol.2, sales of Vol.1 and 3 will end for a short time so we can get all the books out, probably at least for a few months.

We will have a draft copy of the book at the Show of Shows, nearly a complete copy. Actually we'll probably print a couple and spiral bind them to pass around to prove this is happening....

pzjgr
10-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Holy cow, we may be getting close to seeing the pile of mythical unicorn poop??? :biggrin1:

Can't wait Bruce and Mike!

LDHare
10-16-2016, 07:31 PM
I purchase Vol. 1 & III as part of the "Authors Limited Edition of 500". Will I and the others that participated in this special purchase receive a mailed notice when the Vol. II is made available.
Thank you for this fine and demanding effort to produce the ultimate reference source for all things Mauser. I can not even imagine how much effort this project has required, or how much it has compromised your other activities.

jimdvan
11-07-2016, 10:18 PM
I purchase Vol. 1 & III as part of the "Authors Limited Edition of 500". Will I and the others that participated in this special purchase receive a mailed notice when the Vol. II is made available.
Thank you for this fine and demanding effort to produce the ultimate reference source for all things Mauser. I can not even imagine how much effort this project has required, or how much it has compromised your other activities.

I'm wondering the same thing.

mrfarb
11-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Yes, people who have numbered sets will be able to get the same number for Vol.2 - most likely when you order there will be a text area to add your serial number.

We won't be mailing anything out, the logistics of trying to keep track of who has what number turned out to be impossible, it's up to the individual to contact us or let us know when ordering.

jimdvan
11-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Yes, people who have numbered sets will be able to get the same number for Vol.2 - most likely when you order there will be a text area to add your serial number.

We won't be mailing anything out, the logistics of trying to keep track of who has what number turned out to be impossible, it's up to the individual to contact us or let us know when ordering.

Fair enough, thanks.

reich1900
11-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Any idea when volume two will be coming out? I was thinking it might be under the tree next month.

mrfarb
11-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Our original intent was December, but it isn't going to happen. Right now it looks like late spring next year. It's close, but the page count is growing, it's at nearly 750 now and it's a lot of work here at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regis Rex
11-20-2016, 11:41 PM
I can live with that. Will there be any updates of new info to the first 2 volumes, and how would you do that?

Bird Blaster
12-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Very much looking forward to this book! Thanks again for taking the time to work on such a large undertaking!

agentcq
02-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Still time to add your name to the contributors list?

I've been MIA so to speak for the last while....

mrfarb
02-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Did you contribute?

agentcq
02-09-2017, 04:13 PM
I did contribute to Vol I (and was listed) and if you search my user name you will see that I have contributed many posts in the past. As to whether any information was used or contributed to Vol II, I do not know. I was also one of the first Canadian members on this forum and I introduced many of the active Canadian contributors to the forum via introductions on the Canadian Gun Nutz forum.

I was involved on almost a daily basis, but simply life got in the way and I have been on a type of hiatus. However, I am excited about returning to the forum and to purchasing Vol II!!!

Thank you

mto7464
03-10-2017, 12:38 PM
any update on release?

Just looked threw some old posts and saw release for summer.

mrfarb
03-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Still on track to go to print June 1, if everything goes as planned. Up past 840 pages now.

deadeye18
03-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Really looking forward to this book.

Bird Blaster
03-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Still on track to go to print June 1, if everything goes as planned. Up past 840 pages now.

Holy balls!!!! That is going to be amazing!!!

I just got my books 1&3 and I am only on page 200 of the first book!!!

Great work guys!!!

Tiger 2 Tank
03-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Holy balls!!!! That is going to be amazing!!!

I just got my books 1&3 and I am only on page 200 of the first book!!!

Great work guys!!!

It will be great! Common June 1st!.......

Slowburn
03-13-2017, 08:46 PM
840+ is a pretty big book...

How about an audiobook version and I'll follow along looking at the pictures??

Regis Rex
03-25-2017, 01:56 AM
It took me a year to read the last one, so no hurry. I kept starting over to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I read nearly every chapter 3 or 4 times. Information overload.

Blackhawkdown
09-02-2017, 09:32 AM
I ordered books 1& 2 and noticed Third Party Press is south of Houston Texas. I was wondering if the hurricane flooding has affected them?
Dan h

mrfarb
09-02-2017, 10:31 AM
We're all good. I live on Gilligans island out here. Books ship out of Ohio from Bruce, so no worries.

Blackhawkdown
09-02-2017, 10:08 PM
We're all good. I live on Gilligans island out here. Books ship out of Ohio from Bruce, so no worries.

Good to hear!

bkavanaugh
09-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Any update?

bruce98k
09-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Both books are at press stage now.
Will advise schedule but looking like end of this month.

Stay tuned...

Tater792
09-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the update Bruce. Much appreciated

John17427
09-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Prepping for ordering the new books. Since my eyesight is not as good as it once was, I'm looking for opinions on my book number. What say you? It looks like "002c" to me. Thanks.

mrfarb
09-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Yep, 002c. The factory dropped the leading zero in this last year of production though, a product of rationalization. Wednesday is our next update, we shall see what that brings- joy or more misery.

Air-4
09-19-2017, 12:23 PM
I'm still in for #17!

John17427
09-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Yep, 002c. The factory dropped the leading zero in this last year of production though, a product of rationalization. Wednesday is our next update, we shall see what that brings- joy or more misery.

Thank you Sir!

LDHare
09-19-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm in for #42d as soon as the pre-order, or ordering process, as the case may be, opens up for action:-)

Sd.Kfz.173
09-19-2017, 05:37 PM
God !!! The suspense is KILLING ME!!!! :facepalm: Any way to pre-order the pre-order? :laugh:

Bill

Absolut
09-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Can I get a new set with 666, or is that one already out?:googlie

mrfarb
09-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Can I get a new set with 666, or is that one already out?:googlie

HAHA, we never went over 100, we did letter blocks of a,b,c, d and just did an "e" block --- BUT, not all of the numbers are used, we tried to just give out lower numbers of the c and d blocks.

phillynick
09-20-2017, 09:09 PM
HAHA, we never went over 100, we did letter blocks of a,b,c, d and just did an "e" block --- BUT, not all of the numbers are used, we tried to just give out lower numbers of the c and d blocks.
I've been trying to figure out how I owned 516 out of 500 for months... I didn't realize the 6 was a b. :facepalm:

mrfarb
09-20-2017, 09:12 PM
I've been trying to figure out how I owned 516 out of 500 for months... I didn't realize the 6 was a b. :facepalm:

That's Bruce's terrible handwriting. I numbered all the labels myself this time. There are actually less than 500 numbered copies out there, but even we don't know exactly how many there are. We could figure it out but I don't have time right now, I'll do that later.

KDF82
09-20-2017, 09:25 PM
I have 007c on my Kriegs buch. Anyone have dibs on that one yet?

mrfarb
09-20-2017, 09:26 PM
I'll have to check, but we used a lot of the lower numbers.

Absolut
09-21-2017, 04:12 AM
Well, that would mean a set being serialized #666 would be possible ... you know just to confuse the enemy and make them think you were doing large numbers, for the serial numbers studies on books in 50 years.........:bump2:

mjones
09-21-2017, 06:55 AM
I have 021a and 21a volumes 1 and 3. Can't wait.

ltong29
09-21-2017, 09:48 AM
I see you guys listed the full set. I'm in for a full set.

Sd.Kfz.173
09-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Just checked Third party press, says full set is out of stock. Did you guys sell out already
, or just not in yet ? {please tell me they just are not in yet!)

Bill

Sd.Kfz.173
09-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Just checked Third party press, says full set is out of stock. Did you guys sell out already
, or just not in yet ? {please tell me they just are not in yet!)

Bill

Disregard my post. Need new glasses:facepalm:

Bill

mrfarb
09-21-2017, 10:17 AM
I updated the store last night in anticipation of todays update from the printer. We got good news yesterday, but maybe today will be the best news? :thumbsup:

heavy_mech
09-21-2017, 10:42 AM
I updated the store last night in anticipation of todays update from the printer. We got good news yesterday, but maybe today will be the best news? :thumbsup:

Come on man! :laugh: 159523

Rogerbutthead
10-14-2017, 03:22 PM
I am number 35.

Will try to find the link to order now.

See where I can order the book from third party press - would I get the number 35 on it if I ordered it from there?

Or where should I order it from?

Have not been paying attention, sorry.

Roger

Got my glasses and read third party site, ordered vol II, thanks.

Bird Blaster
10-14-2017, 04:17 PM
ordered my vol 2 set!!!

Sexton
10-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Received my Vol 2 set today. Thought media mail would take longer, (ordered Monday).
No issues with the mail box, or the mail lady, though I'm surprised she didn't try to eat the box:thumbsup:

gebirgsjager
10-15-2017, 01:14 PM
I have numbered set 031C, how do I go about ordering my Book 2? I am SSSOOO confused!!!!:googlie:googlie:googlie

gebirgsjager
10-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Never mind, no longer confused, just a little effort on my part. Looking forward to new volumes.

Dutchie
02-23-2018, 07:49 AM
I just ordered my volume 2 set as well. I have not been following either. Hopefully "25D" is still available, as this matches my Volume 1 and 3!

Maybe I can get this one signed?

Love the books.

SA1942
03-03-2018, 02:41 PM
I just ordered my volume 2 set as well. I have not been following either. Hopefully "25D" is still available, as this matches my Volume 1 and 3!

Maybe I can get this one signed?

Love the books.

PM bruce98k and request if he can number it to your set.