Third Party Press

Unintended consequences

Aeisir

Reaction to the recent events led me to the local shops yesterday to pick up a few sundries and an unexpected find: a nice 1939 DSM. The staff had little idea what it was and were somewhat perplexed that it took me 30 seconds to make a purchase decision. That before the 90 minute instant background check.

The sling had likely been on the rifle for 70 years. The section below, protected in the buttstock, gives a pretty good indication of the original condition. Bore was packed with dust, but appears to be nearly perfect. Metal condition is not bad. If it hadn't been for the politicos' and media gun control frenzy, I would have missed this one.

Army-Navy-2012-5220_zps4b34b235.jpg

Army-Navy-2012-5182_zps9aa60c6e.jpg

Army-Navy-2012-5198_zps5c96f73c.jpg

Army-Navy-2012-5225_zps96269a12.jpg

Army-Navy-2012-5223_zps5c86e798.jpg

Great Find!!

Awsome closet fresh, complete I love it.

Very happy for you.

This can still happen and suspect the current wave of buy sell paranoia may result in more being flushed out IF we are still able to acquire them.

Would you share the serial number?

Serial

Thanks, Howard.

Sure, Jim, it is 45,188, bug-proofed. The picture below says that better than me. I have also included a picture of the other side and bolt open. Just a few days ago, after the Oaks Show, I wondered when I would ever see another KKW/DSM. This one came in with the current wave of turn-ins, thankfully to the gun shop and not to one of the LE destruction programs.

DSMSling-5228_zps7ea6c9d2.jpg

DSMSling-5234_zps86655506.jpg

very nice...

I had two of its twins.. Now just one.. Mines eitther 45 or 46 K cant remember... These just reek of quality !! As to all the b.s. in the news at least the single shot .22 is the safest buy out there.. No chance ever of these getting banned..

Maybe

KKW has an evil bayonet lug. Under some past proposed legislation would have been on the hit list.

I would not take for granted that any firearm with military origins might not end up a candidate.

In fact, if you were trying to import one at various points in time in the past couple decades it was open to interpretation by customs on the trainers if they were "military" weapons.

I wrote definitions for more than one importer with references cited to preclude them being with held from imported lots. FACT

In one case the thing that saved a couple of DSM's coming from Sweden was the original factory prospectus which touted them as "Sport Models" for target shooting.

In recent lots, it very much mattered how they were listed on the application for the import license whether or not they were approved. taboo description was "training rifle" particularly "mauser training rifle". Sport Model or Target Model - no problem.

Customs in addition to ATF has a list of buzz words to look for in those applications. Amongst them "Gustloff" as in their guide that is always a military weapon and not sporting firearm. A rare Gustloff Sporting Model was with held several years ago from a Maryland Importers licensed shipment and after significant correspondence and evidence that is was merely a sporting .22 single after a two month battle was it released.

The anti-gun folks, and the crusaders don't differentiate on minutia. They are looking for any possible clue that it can be banned not that it is acceptable/permissable. Particularly in the current environment there is always alot of room left for interpretation.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back