Third Party Press

Information about WW1 Semi-turret bases

balbuz

Hello,

I'm looking for any information about this receiver. Mount bases were made for semi-turret mount (Goerz 4x). It looks home made but quite well made. Front part of the receiver seems to be marked with many "3" stamps.
Here are some pics

_DSC0070.jpg _DSC0071.jpg _DSC0073.jpg _DSC0107.jpg _DSC0106.jpg

There are G98 sniper rifles pictured in Robert Spielauers "Sniper Scopes and Mounts" with basically the same mounting style. All of these scopes are - as you already mentioned correctly - C. P. Goertz scopes.

Since the front base is stippled, it may be that it had been used as a hunting rifle and this would have been a "cheap engraving" (and to delete the connection to a military sniper rifle).

€dit: need to mention though that the one's pictured are soldered onto the receiver ring, while yours have been put into a dovetail..

Thank's for the answer. I also think it was used for hunting after the war. The bases don't look like the WW1 bases used for C.P.Goerz 4x scopes.
Even if this modification is civilian, it could be a good base to make a repro rifle. Could someone help me by telling me which additional parts would be coherent with this receiver ?

Here are some more details, even if main marking was erased.

_DSC0112.jpg _DSC0100.jpg _DSC0103.jpg _DSC0099.jpg _DSC0098.jpg _DSC0076.jpg

Interesting. The WaA280 would make it an earlier rifle, as far as I know it had been mainly used by Erma. Plus the old typo style.. Maybe an early K98k dating up to 1939?

Have you tried fitting the Goertz scope mount? Take a look at Spielauers book, as mentioned he's showing basically the same scope mount, but differently (and higher) attached.

Original or well faked receivers for the semi turret have a hole in the rear for the pivot.
=> an untouched Goerz 4x can not fit to this receiver.

With the rear base removed, it should look like this one.

Attachments

• DSC05558_3.jpg
    DSC05558_3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I didn't remove the reard base because it looks soldered but Goerz 4x seems to fit it quite well.

_DSC0031.JPG

Original or well faked receivers for the semi turret have a hole in the rear for the pivot.
=> an untouched Goerz 4x can not fit to this receiver.

I should have said: => an untouched Goerz 4x can not fit to this receiver, if the bases were original.

The pivot on the rear ring is longer than the height of the (original) base. That is why you need the hole in the receiver.

Over the years I've seen several faked semi turrets. Almost all had the pivot shortened, to fit the bases.

You're right. I just looked at the Goerz pivot and it's shorter than pivots I can see in my books. Bad luck...
The upper parts mount still look original to me but I can be wrong.

Last edited:
Scope and rings look original and unmessed. Very nice.
When you have it mounted to the correct rifle, nobody will notice.

Military Rifle Journal
Back