Third Party Press

New to the Forum - My 1915 Spandau

Jeff B

Hey! Im just new to the forum here so this is my first official post. I recently inherited this Gewehr 98 from my late Grandfather. He was a huge war history buff and had this rifle/bayonet on display in his basement for years.

Its a 1915 Spandau, serial numer 9074. Externally, its a numbers matching unit right down to the screws, except for the rear strap swivel. The bayonet is stamped Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie, Solingen. The only number I found was 15 (Year?) on the top side of the blades base along with some Imperial markings. The rifle also has a diagonal duffle cut found before the rear band.

I am a total rookie when it comes to these old Mausers so I feel pretty grateful to have been given such a cool piece of history. Is there a registry for the Gew 98 where I can offer my serial number? Also, is there a parts list/schematic available for these guns and an official list of parts that should be stamped with serial numbers? I intend to preserve this rifle to the best of my ability so any advice or references regarding Gew 98 information would be greatlty appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Great forum by the way!

Attachments

• Gewehr 98 (1915).jpg
    Gewehr 98 (1915).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 50
Welcome to the forum, looks like it has potential as a nice rifle, maybe some more pictures?

Does your serial (9074) have a letter underneath? That would be the block it was made in, will give you an idea of how early or late in the year it was made. As for serialing, the full serial w/suffix will be on the receiver, barrel & bolt top flat originally. The full serial w/o suffix will be on the trigger guard and on the stock (along the lower buttstock & internally). The rest will generally have the last two digits. Many variables but that is the basics.

Hey! Im just new to the forum here so this is my first official post. I recently inherited this Gewehr 98 from my late Grandfather. He was a huge war history buff and had this rifle/bayonet on display in his basement for years.

Its a 1915 Spandau, serial numer 9074. Externally, its a numbers matching unit right down to the screws, except for the rear strap swivel. The bayonet is stamped Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie, Solingen. The only number I found was 15 (Year?) on the top side of the blades base along with some Imperial markings. The rifle also has a diagonal duffle cut found before the rear band.

I am a total rookie when it comes to these old Mausers so I feel pretty grateful to have been given such a cool piece of history. Is there a registry for the Gew 98 where I can offer my serial number? Also, is there a parts list/schematic available for these guns and an official list of parts that should be stamped with serial numbers? I intend to preserve this rifle to the best of my ability so any advice or references regarding Gew 98 information would be greatlty appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Great forum by the way!

Military Rifle Journal
Back