Third Party Press

G. Appel 1938 .22 cleaning kit

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I picked one of these up at the Houston Gun Show this weekend- I've never had one, but it's pretty neat. Chain and brushes are different, everything else is the same. How common are these kits? I'll take some pics of it.

I picked one of these up at the Houston Gun Show this weekend- I've never had one, but it's pretty neat. Chain and brushes are different, everything else is the same. How common are these kits? I'll take some pics of it.

These are about as common as cow patties in texas.....I'll give you ten bucks for it.!!!:laugh:

Here are some pics. The kit came with an unmarked spoon- wonder if it was added later, as it should have a maker marked one this early. Bottle is 1938 G.Appel like the can.

Also, a comparison on the brushes from a 98k kit and these- the wire is thinner, but I think some of my 98k kits have thinner core wire on the brushes- big tell is the smaller wire loop on the end. I saw the chain sticking out of the can in the guys glass case, and the price was typical for a normal 98k cleaning kit (at least at these shows), $75.00. I talked him down to $65.00.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 133
  • brushcomparison.jpg
    brushcomparison.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 132
Here are some pics. The kit came with an unmarked spoon- wonder if it was added later, as it should have a maker marked one this early. Bottle is 1938 G.Appel like the can.

Actually a .22 kit doesn't need the spoon. Its too big to use as a chamber cleaning tool and there is no floorplate to remove.

Ahh, I figured someone added it as I was thinking the same thing. Good, I have a late kit that needs a spoon.

Mike I think You were smart to grab it . As stated not often seen forsale
You really are a Smart Egg aren`t You .

Ive had two

one capital letter "CNX"

the other normal "cnx"

both had the skinny chain, one pain fat bristle brush and one long skinny bristle brush with no plastic bristles in the middle

Nice kit and even nicer luck in finding it. Anything in the small compartment?

If you decide to divest, be sure to give the guys in the 22 forum a heads up.

a.

Case is marked G.Appel 1938, but no other markings. Contents in the small lid were oil soaked cotton cloth.

So the case itself was not marked to manufacturer or dated?

Don't know about others' kits, but The cases on mine are either not marked or marked G Appel. The oilers are marked G. Appel 1937.

Last edited:
Here's one of my .22 kits. It is an early one that came with the first style chain that has the butterfly hooks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

ChdAW 07724 a.jpgChdAW 07724 chain a.jpg

I checked my stash of .22 cleaning kits for markings. Of the ten (.22) kits that I have, the cans are marked as follows; (1) 1936 G.Appel, (1) 1938 G.Appel, (1) undated G.Appel, (3) 64 WaA20 (one marked Einstecklauf), (1) cnx, (1) cnx WaA20, (1) CNX (marked 12/M116 on side), (1) no maker (marked ChdA W 07724). In these kits there are (6) cleaning chains that are marked. Markings are as follows; (1) 64, (3) 64 WaA20, (1) G.A. 1937, (1) cnx faint WaA.

attachment.php

rg34.jpg

Wow- you must not have much room in the house with that many cleaning kits around!

Case is marked G.Appel 1938, but no other markings. Contents in the small lid were oil soaked cotton cloth.

So the only difference is the chain diameter and the bore brush diameter, and no fp tool? I need to find one of these for sure. Hell, I may have one and don't realize it. Yet.

You learn something new

After seeing this thread I checked my kits.....ta da.....had one but didn't notice the difference.

I just thought it was a maker difference.

Military Rifle Journal
Back