Third Party Press

German Paratrooper

bill grist

Staff member
My neighbor came over for Memoral day and we were discussing the military, he said his father was in the German army in WW2 but he did not know what unit his father was in.. I said do have any picts he said yes one of his father in his uniform.. Here is the pict. of Paratrooper Georg Mayer, the father was a pow in the USA and moved to the USA in 1952 when he went to work as a master brewer for Reingold Beer co... Also here is a pict of his son my neighbor a remarkable likeness....BILL

Attachments

• 100_0384.jpg
    100_0384.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_0383.jpg
    100_0383.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 70
Very neat picture of your neighbor and his father. It looks like your neighbors father was a Fallschirmjager Unteroffizier that was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class, Eastern Front Medal and Parachutists Badge. The Parachutists bage hes wearing is the cloth type. The cap hes wearing is a type M43. I looked closely at his shoulder board insignia and I looked for yellow piping or any other color but didnt see any. IMO it looks like there could be white piping next to his NCO tresse on his shoulder boards which could mean that he served in a Fallschirm-Grenadier Regiment under the Hermann Goering division. Did his son happen to say where his father was captured?

Last edited:
Neat story and pic....

The swastikas appear to be blotted out..

Is that on the actual photo itself, or is that photoshop on the pic of the pic......?

The photo is hand colored, it was a common paractice in the 30s & 40s. I have photos of my mom & dad that are so done.
Either that is an early tunik or the waffen farb was added to the colar by the painter.
He was a Fallschirmjäger - NOT HG. HG would have white colar tabs and no gold waffen farb on the colar.
Neat photo. To bad it doesn't show more of him to see if he had any other badges.
Sarge

Tks Bill, interesting stuff. We had a POW camp down here, agriculteral, and a good many POWs came back here to live, came back to visit the locals, etc. That says alot about the US that these men, many hardcore dedicated soldiers for Germany, as obviously is the case here, would come back here to become US citizens and start lives here.

Tks Bill, interesting stuff. We had a POW camp down here, agriculteral, and a good many POWs came back here to live, came back to visit the locals, etc. That says alot about the US that these men, many hardcore dedicated soldiers for Germany, as obviously is the case here, would come back here to become US citizens and start lives here.

one of my teachers from the tech college lived 5 minutes from a POW camp here, his father would go pick up a truck load of Germans in the morning, feed them, they worked the farm all day, then he would drop them off. i THINK there were 5,000 German soldiers there? but my numbers might be off. ive gone off roading ( not suppose to ) in the area they were all kept at, there are still old buildings, concrete foundations, even spickets for water fountains or wells sticking out of the ground.

he says they never once had a problem with any of the Germans. they were happy to be alive, out of the war, and working hard.

Military Rifle Journal
Back