Third Party Press

questions about my new G.24(t)

bampa

I bought this at a show recently and paid what for me was a good sum of money. I have researched it as much as possible and think it is legitimate, but I'd still like the experts on this board to give me their opinions.

This dou 41 rifle is in overall good to very good shape. The metal has no rust but has turned a slight plum color in areas. The laminate wood is solid; it has dings and some scrapes, but it has no cracks, and it does not appear to be sanded or refinished in any way. The rifle's serial number is 1835 C, and from what I can tell, the rifle is all matching -- the bolt handle matches, as does the stock. Some small metal parts have the Z-in-a-circle stamp. The rifle has WaA607 stamps on the right of the receiver and the right buttstock flat. The buttplate is flat and not marked from what I can tell. The bore is somewhat dark but has good rifling. The front sight does have the hood, which I understand is not usual for G.24(t) rifles. The rifle is not import marked.

It came with a German sling that is solid but well-used and flaking in spots. The sling back is marked, but it is hard to make out. It has a code mark, a year stamp and a WaA number. The frosch (?) or whatever you call it is weird to me. It's not in very good shape and is unmarked except for numbers that go across the top of the strap. Finally, the cleaning rod that came with the rifle looks odd to me. The rod end is a bit different that VZ24 rods that I have seen. I've included photos of these things -- please see them below.

I'd like to learn if anyone knows whether the sling frosch is WWII German. I'd also like to know if the cleaning rod is correct. Most importantly, I'd like to know if the rifle is legitimate and what its general value is. (I hope I didn't pay too much for it.)

Thanks in advance for any replies....

Attachments

• g241.jpg
    g241.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 44
  • g242.jpg
    g242.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 36
  • g243.jpg
    g243.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 47
  • g244.jpg
    g244.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 54
  • g245.jpg
    g245.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 64
  • g246.jpg
    g246.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 50
  • g247.jpg
    g247.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 60
  • g248.jpg
    g248.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 54
  • g249.jpg
    g249.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 53
  • g2410.jpg
    g2410.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 44
The frosch is definitely not German. I'd say it is probably post-war Israeli. That would make me suspicious of the sling as well, but you do not have enough pictures to judge. The cleaning rod appears to be a post-war copy as well.

The rifle itself looks okay though. Condition is a little rough, but not bad. The Circle Z parts are leftover Czech parts used in G24t production. Not uncommon.

The frosch is definitely not German. I'd say it is probably post-war Israeli. That would make me suspicious of the sling as well, but you do not have enough pictures to judge. The cleaning rod appears to be a post-war copy as well.

The rifle itself looks okay though. Condition is a little rough, but not bad. The Circle Z parts are leftover Czech parts used in G24t production. Not uncommon.

Thanks for the reply. I think the sling itself is good; it's just that my photo of the markings isn't very good. The markings are rather faint and hard to see. In fact, all my photos came out rather dark with too much contrast. The rifle looks much better up close and personal than it does in the photos I have posted. Any input on the rifle's value?

Military Rifle Journal
Back