PDA

View Full Version : Question on sniper conversions

Bigdibbs88
06-05-2010, 04:38 AM
Was just flipping through the gustloff section of the kriegsmodell book and a question popped into my head. I know that HT and LT (and i assume SC and DC) sniper rifles were first test fired, and only the most accurate chosen, which was then converted without changing out any major components. Was this not the case with LSR's? Since not all production had the thick sidewall, did they just pick barrels and put them with a thick sidewall receiver and hope it was accurate? Or did they test fire then remove the old receiver and put on a new one (in which case I dont understand why there are examples without the holes for retaining pins, since these already accurate rifles would have certainly been made into snipers)? I.e.- how did they ensure that the ones converted to the LSR platform were the most accurate, being that an essential component was manufactured differently?

Dave Roberts
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
From my understanding of these Thick Side wall Rec Rifles they were Produce the same as any other Production Run and then the Rifles had to pass the Accuracy Test and if Passed moved to next Step if not they were just Fielded as Regular Troop use . With this said I would tend to think that the utmost was done to ensure that the best Barrels were fitted to the Receivers as they were a specialty Item , So at least with the LSR Production some Special Practices would have been implemented . Mike , Bruce or Craig may have or know of something for sure if so I will defer to them . Or You can ask this in K98 Section .

mrfarb
06-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Dave is correct, these LSR rifles were routed through the same process as standard receiver guns. If it was not accurate enough to be an LSR, it most likely either went back through the process or was issued as a standard service rifle. I had a pretty early 3 hole gun that was a standard issue 98k (just sold it recently).

I think these may have been a bit more common that many suspect- over the years, folks have converted them to LSR rifles for profit, so finding one that isn't converted is a rarity.

Bigdibbs88
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
interesting thank you for the replies