Third Party Press

G43 Frozen Gas Cylinder!!!!

Dr.Mauser

So i finally get my G43 in, and I take it down to clean it and the Gas cylinder is completely frozen to the piston!!!!!! Its a ac43 serial 822, so its one of the first thousand EVER made, its a vet bring back (that was in a sported stock), so i dont want to ruin it, and ideas on how to get this unstuck?!?!

Attachments

• CAM00191.jpg
    CAM00191.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 41
  • CAM00190.jpg
    CAM00190.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 32
  • CAM00186.jpg
    CAM00186.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 31
Soak it in Kroil for a few days. Don't force anything. You might be able to unscrew the piston from the gas block but use the correct sized wrench! If you can unscrew the piston you can stand it up vertically and fill it with Kroil if it is not rusted or plugged up! The early rifles did not have the stainless steel pistons so take your time. Good luck!

Cork the barrel at the chamber, top the barrel off with Kroil, WD40 or LiquidWrench from the muzzle end and let it soak for a day. Then tap lightly on the outside of the gas cylinder with a plastic mallet or a piece of hardwood. Get a 1/8" - 1/4" thick strip of aluminum or brass, file a sharp edge and rest it against the rim of the gas cylinder right next to the gas block. Tap lightly on the metal strip with a hammer in an effort to drive the cylinder off the piston. Use several locations around the perimeter. Once the cylinder starts moving, carefully tap it back towards the gas block and start over again. Eventually it will move more and more with every tap, until you have it completely off the piston or far enough so you can see the hex on the gas piston and remove it with a wrench for further disassembly. Clean the gas piston and remove rust from inside the gas cylinder with steel wool or fine sand paper. I went through the same motions with my AC45 and it came off after about an hour of careful tapping. None of the parts has been marred or otherwise damaged.

There was a discussion a while ago on this or another forum regarding the logic of coating gas cylinder and gas piston with oil. I think the situation you're dealing with right now has not been caused by a liberally lubricated piston and cylinder. Quite the opposite is true, I assume.

Military Rifle Journal
Back