Third Party Press

Strange Spandau 1917 markings

Jim's Militaria

I just added another to the collection and I am a little perplexed. This one has a styleized "WM" above the "Spandau 1917". Do the initials stand for Waffenfabrik Mauser?

Thanks for any help.

SPANDAU.JPG

:biggrin1:

Yes, this rifle was assembled by Mauser Oberndorf, quite a few were actually as I have recorded good number. When the Arsenal at Spandau dropped Gewehr98 production in 1917 to focus on the MG08 series of machine guns, they sent their receivers to three known locations for assembly. Most went to a facility believed to be a depot in Hannover, but others went to Danzig and MO. The ones made by MO seem to be less common, Danzig about twice as many known, and Hannover roughly the same as Danzig, but probably more.

I made this discovery when I began trending Spandau production some years ago, the right receiver will tell you the assembler between the MO and Danzig variations, other clues also exist (FP, serial ranges, component make up etc..), the Hannovers do not have full acceptance markings and were not assembled in the normal fashion, they are easy to differentiate.

Spandau did not make many Gewehr98's in 1917, many rifles are marked Spandau/1917 but most are not actually assembled there. No 1918 Spandau was assembled at Spandau.

Do some pictures of your rifle, this is another rather difficult variation to find "original-matching", most known are in rough condition.

Thanks!

Have you looked at the barrel? Does it have a "B.S" followed by a lot number? MO is the main user of this steel provider, almost all their recorded wartime made barrels are from this steel producer, only a few Krupps have been otherwise recorded on MO wartime rifles. Of course, Spandau is the only other user of this "B.S" steel provider, but it isn't as common at all, only a couple recordings.

Mauser Oberndorf, for whatever reason, seems to have been the most consistent user of steel for barrels, Danzig too is trending towards Bismarckhütte (naturally due to proximity), but MO too seems to be fond of "B.S" and Krupp, possibly for the same reason. I would have thought Böhler more common for MO during the war, they are Erfurt's main supplier, but so far observed wartime barrels to not bare this out.

BTW, you say bolt m/m, does the stock match? Is the acceptance clear?

I haven't pulled her apart yet so I am not sure on the barrel markings. The stock matches but the acceptance markings are all but gone. The m/m parts are the bolt, rod, floor plate and follower.

Here are some shots of her in all her glory. The wood on the trench axe is almost a match. Any idea on the sling? I haven't seen one in this style before but, it works well.

MVC-002F34.JPG

MVC-003F20.JPG

MVC-005F24.JPG

MVC-006F24.JPG

MVC-007F20.JPG

:biggrin1:

Military Rifle Journal
Back