Third Party Press

DSM Research and Breaking Paradigms

mauser22

First I would like to thank everyone who is contributing to my effort to produce a book dedicated the Deutsches Sportmodell.

Secondly, I would like to state clearly that I intend to use this forum to present opinions and some assumptions, observations relative to my research. I will do my best to present the evidence and clearly state what are opinions, observations, assumptions, or have been noted in period photographs or original manufacturers documents.

The goal of that is to draw out other persons knowledge, experience and perspectives on what we have to try and figure out from such research and close observation of the guns.

The more the merrier.

Even the novice student or collector often has noted or observed something I have failed to see in decades of research and observation of many, many guns.

I know there are alot of people here who have collected longer, are much better traveled, educated, and better versed on the subject matter than I am.

I am never offended by conflicting views, and certainly welcome the polite discussion and debate of theories formed from others research and experience. If I give the impression that I am it is because I am passionate about the subject matter.

It is very hard, (I know from personal experience) to break ones own paradigms when one has longed believed something to be true and conflicting information is presented.

By nature of when, how, and for what the Deutsches Sportmodell was conceived, developed and produced, much of the facts appear to have been intentionally "cloaked". Further, much of what went on occurred in areas that subsequent to the war were ravished by the hand over of the Suhl and Zella Mehlis region to the Russians and years of isolation and the Cold War. I have a goal to go there for further research but have not yet accomplished that. I am not overly optimistic that anything significant may be found there based on what some of you that have been there were able to find. I do believe my perspective on what is there may lead to substantiating some things that are pieces of the puzzle.

The DSM likely will remain a puzzle in many regards and at best all I can hope to do is present all the evidence I can find for others to draw their own conclusions on.

So please anyone and everyone feel free to present your opinions, particularly when not congruent with mine and challenge anything I present.

Further, if you have information you would prefer not to display in a public forum you may contact me directly via email at kkmauser@aol.com. I will hold your information in confidence, will not disclose the source, share serial numbers etc, or publish them and only use them for my own education.

Good Collecting!!!

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back