Third Party Press

Early Unmarked K98 bayonet

militarytorch

This is an early unmarked bayonet with early unmarked scabbard.
It has no markings on it at all, I think under the grips there are some early eagles but I don't remember. ( I took it apart few years ago)

This is one of my favorite bayonets in my collection.

I will try posting early/mid/late war bayonets as time permits

Attachments

• DSC01162.JPG
    DSC01162.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC01163.JPG
    DSC01163.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01164.JPG
    DSC01164.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01165.JPG
    DSC01165.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01166.JPG
    DSC01166.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC01167.JPG
    DSC01167.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC01168.JPG
    DSC01168.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 111
That is a nice bayonet. It would be one of my favorites too!
Thanks for sharing.
grimlin13

Last edited:
Looks like refurbishment mainly on grip, probably a new blueing added, the scabbard is a S84/98nA or spanish one. The leather buffer was typical by spanish reworks.Not correct here probably.

Agreed, Andrej. Looks like a Spanish to me. Note the frog stud has only the two upper decorative incised lines instead of four (two upper/two lower). Also has the rather indistinct flattened ball finial at the scabbard tip. And of course the S84/98nA style throat as you noted.

Still a nice piece. Like the frog as well!

Thank you for your comments, it could very well be Spanish.
If it is it is not the narrow kind, it is the same dimensions as a German K98

Here are few pictures of the markings inside the grips.
Behind the stamped X it looks like the early German eagle?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC01169.JPG
    DSC01169.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01170.JPG
    DSC01170.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01172.JPG
    DSC01172.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I found some more information on Spanish M1943 Bayonet
"
Many look exactly like a German 98k bayonet except has a narrower blade, darker bluing and no German markings. Some had wood grips and others are found with plastic composite grips. No maker markings but thought to be contract made by Germany for the Spanish Army and “Blue Division” serving with the Germans on the Eastern Front. They were typically only marked with an 'H' on the bottom spine of the blade and had a serial number under the grip plates. Some can be found marked 'P.R.8' on the blade sometimes with a serial number (i.e. 6135, 6140, 9941) which were done in 1944. Some had flashguards and some did not. Heavily blued overall. Some have been found made from German issued 98k bayonets with German maker, date and serial number (sometimes these markings are fully or partially removed)
"

The bayonet in question has exactly the same blade as other K98 bayonets.

I am not trying to defend it, I would just like to find out more about what I have.

Yes the piece is certainly german the bayonet offcourse, the X was the WaA253 stamp on tang, that means a Solingen pre 1938 production, You should look under the leather buffer sometimes is on lower blade near the edge (like on Your picture nr.6)letter o stamped, the refurbishment was done in Spain and put together with M43 scabbard probably.

Yes the piece is certainly german the bayonet offcourse, the X was the WaA253 stamp on tang, that means a Solingen pre 1938 production, You should look under the leather buffer sometimes is on lower blade near the edge (like on Your picture nr.6)letter o stamped, the refurbishment was done in Spain and put together with M43 scabbard probably.

Took the leather piece off and there are no markings anywhere, I looked at all angles....

i also have an unmarked bayonet and scabbard. mine is almost identical except no marks on the frog and under the grips it has 3403 stamped. does anyone have any information?

It could be similar as here presented piece, exported from Germany, or by separate blade handle configuration that is riveted under grips similar like KS98 already a spanish version M43, which is lighter version.any pictures avialable?

Military Rifle Journal
Back