Third Party Press

Is this a ES420b?

Sixgun

Bit of introduction; I'm mostly a S&W revolver guy. The thing is that the old pre-war S&Ws have given me an appreciation for quality that I can't seem to shake. I've just started my forays into Oberndorf a/n guns and the two I have purchased so far have me hooked. The first one was a 1912 commercial 7x57 with double set triggers (I can post that somewhere if you guys are interested). Holding that gun just makes me happy, shooting it even more so.

Today I picked up another gun that I am absurdly pleased with. I've been told two thing: that it might be an ES420b, and that I should come here and have you guys educate me on this. The pictures of the markings should be pretty good but I don't have a terribly good setup for taking picture of full rifles, so I apologize for the quality of those last two photographs. I can try to get some better ones if the light outside decides to cooperate.

The more I hold this gun tonight the more I am pleased by it. I suspect proper Oberndorf a. N. guns are going to be the ruination of my bank account.

You have a gorgeous MM410B

ES designation applied to the single shots

420 was a heavier repeater and was MS420B

Very nice gun hard to find in that condition.

Search here on MM410B and you will find threads on others.

No apologies necessary on your photos, those are some of the best that have been posted here.

And yes, they are habit forming and it is a serious affliction. As for your bank account, with the current worth of money and return on it, I believe you are far more secure with this.

Congratulations.!

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I'm obviously going to have to start digging around for more information on these.

Is there a place somewhere that lays out what the models are? Possible dates of manufacture? Or is there a book(s) I am going to need to buy?

Jim.. ask hime what kind of camera and lighting he uses.... What is the secret ???? Best photos ive seen !!!!!:hail:

Jim.. ask hime what kind of camera and lighting he uses.... What is the secret ???? Best photos ive seen !!!!!:hail:

I use a Panasonic Lumix GF1 with an old 55mm lens from, as near as I can figure, the 80's. It lets me get really close in on a marking and use the lens to manually focus on it. For lighting I have a box that I cut the sides out of, covered in paper, and then I just sort of position a pair of desk lamps around in different ways to try to get the light to hit it right. It's just a really slap dash light box.

Friend of mine recommended I pick up the camera off of craigslist and I am glad he did. I've got about $225 into the whole rig including the thrift store tripod. I'm not a camera guy, and I just wanted to invest the minimum required to get good pictures of proof marks.

Ultimately I find that taking decent photographs requires having the ISO cranked down as low as it will go, and put the camera on a tripod with a timer so my shaking it doesn't matter at all. Then it's just lighting, which is the real trick. A lightbox can make anyone's photos better.

The last two pictures display a bit of a problem I have with the 55mm lens and rifles. I have to get pretty far back from the rifle to take a picture of it, and then lighting is a bit hard because you are working with a lighting source instead of a diffused light through a box.

What I need to do is get a different lens for rifles, and build a box to accommodate them.

I can photograph pistols a lot better with this setup. Truth is that the photography geek friends I have point out all these flaws I have in my pictures, but really all I wanted to do was to be able to get photos of markings to actually be discernible. Everything else is just sort of icing.

Here's a few pictures of my pistols taken with that camera.

YEX1gh.jpg

ns2J2h.jpg

07cg2h.jpg

kNvfkh.jpg

oZLrdh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/18WT1.jpg
mzdeh.jpg

Would you mind posting a few photos of your light box? I need all the help I can get......

Its really... really... Well yeah, here you go:

Potatoes!

Edit:

Since I had it out I pulled some guns out and took pictures of them. It works out pretty well with a couple desk lamps positioned by those holes cut out in the sides:

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back