Third Party Press

G-41 find. Advice requested

greendevil41

First time poster here. I just picked up a d block DUV 43 G-41. Gun walked into a local shop after it literally came out of the closet after 68+ years. Unfortunately no paperwork or history available other then the shop employees being told the seller's dad had brought it and a Japanese Type 99 back after the war. Complete and matching with brown Durofol hand guard. No stock sanding or other tampering other then some very slight damage to the trigger guard screw slots (chisel point screwdriver). No sight hood and no evidence it ever had one. Weapon appears potentially unissued and fired very little by anybody. Bore is dirty but looks to have some shine. Stock is dry and rifle is coated with dust and metal has a very light coat of rust patina-nothing active or pitting. Cost was $1300.00 dollars.

I haven't done anything to it and won't until I get some pics of it as it sits now simply because I don't remember finding one fresh out of the closet or attic without it having been "improved" or sporterized by some prior owner or collector. I obviously need to clean it at some point but want it to be minimally impactual as far as the guns originality. Any references or thoughts as to the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Less is always best and leave the wood alone.

Easy to remove 70 years of age...almost impossible to replace.

Will wait for picture.

My advice:
1. Buy a lottery ticket because you certainly on a lucky streak!
2. Give my name to the gun shop selling g41's for $1300, I want to be their new best friend.
3. Clean with Clenzoil and Qtips just to remove the dust and protect/conserve the metal and patina. Dust acts like a million little sponges holding moisture against the metal and wood. If kept in a carefully controlled environment with 25%-45% humidity, you could probably even leave the dust on it. However, in most cases removing the dust is best for conserving the firearm. There is a fine line between conserving and over-cleaning. Far more damage is done by over cleaning, so when in doubt, do less not more.

Enjoy!
-wwiifirearms

Thanks for the replies. Stars definitely lined up on this one. Pics will be taken today since I'm off from work. I've never used or even heard of clenzoil. Where do you find it? I actually put a drop of CLP on my finger and gently wiped a small area on the left side of the front barrel band, keeping it off the wood, then wiped it off. Metal looked like it was brand new with a beautiful deep blue. I made myself stop but I think this piece is fairly pristine. Dust removal is as far as I intend to go. Nothing on the wood and other then adding a '43 dated sling I have, it will stay the way I found it.

www.clenzoil.com
It is petroleum distillate made to clean and protect fine firearms.
I like it because it has excellent rust protection and is very light(doesn't build up), and it will dissolve some heavier grease and gunk for cleaning.
It gives up some of the lubricating properties of traditional CLP, but for most collectible guns we are less concerned with mechanical lubricant.
I have other lubricants like Tetra Gun Grease for moving parts on guns I shoot.
-wwiifirearms

wwiifirearms,
Thanks for the Clenzoil link. I just ordered a bottle. It was kind of drizzling outside today so these pics were taken inside tonight. Sorry they suck but they show the original as found condition. Weather is supposed to improve next few days so I'll try for some natural light photos. In the pic of the left front end you'll see the front band appearance is improved with that one drop of oil. I did notice some Bubba screwdriver pry marks behind the rear band on both sides but not crazy bad. Do you think I should ask for some of my money back?
Just kidding!

Attachments

• G-41 pics 3-13-13 002.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 002.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 152
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 004.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 004.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 139
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 006.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 006.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 123
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 007.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 007.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 131
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 008.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 008.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 120
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 009.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 009.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 118
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 010.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 010.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 108
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 018.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 018.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 114
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 013.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 013.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 108
  • G-41 pics 3-13-13 015.jpg
    G-41 pics 3-13-13 015.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 113
Nice

Better than $1300 nice too! Good score. I have been around some of these and never pulled the trigger to get one. Now, it ain't happening!:facepalm:

Thanks for all the comments. This just came down to a lucky break. I've had three of them over the last 12 years but like all most all of them you find now days they all had problems- re-blues, M/M parts, damaged stocks, trashed bores etc so this one was special since its has none of the pit falls of my earlier finds plus of course the price was awesome. I don't think I can improve on this one unless I find a button release variant or a sniper with original saddle mount and scope! Once the Clenzoil arrives and I've cleaned her up a little I'll post some more pics.

Updated pics of G-41 after Clenzoil application

I should have posted these sooner. Here is the G-41 after removing the light surface oxidation with Clenzoil as suggested here. I didn't touch the wood at all. I'm vVery happy with the results. I added the '43 dated sling and left it alone. Here is the album.

http://imgur.com/a/DK3eE

Military Rifle Journal
Back