Third Party Press

Question on kar98a marking

Gunnut

Hello, got a couple questions on a kar98a I've had a while. On the top of the buttplate there is 9. U., is this a unit or regimental marking? If so, does anyone know what? Also when I bought it, it had what the guy told me is the original sling. Its in excellent codition and marked Robert Larsen Berlin SW68. Could this be a correct sling for this rifle? The rifle is Erfurt 1914, in excellent condition, and everything matches but the stacking hook. Any ideas on value of this rifle? Thanks in advance for any info. Gunnut.

Your Kar98a is marked "9.U." which represents "2. Pommersches Ulanen-Regiment Nr.9". Uhlans were Lancers.

Are there any other letters or numbers with the "9.U."? Usually there will be Troop and weapon numbers along with the regimental. Example: "9.U.X.XX." which would translate as "Weapon #XX, X Troop (company), 9th Uhlan Regiment".

In order to tell if your sling is original to the rifle, or at least the correct type, pictures will be necessary. It should be about 7/8 inch wide with a square, tongueless buckle and 9 holes punched in the opposite end for adjustment. There should be a foot exactly like that seen on the sling for the Kar98k to secure the end through the butt. Example of a WW1 style Kar98a sling is shown below:

Karslingandearlybuckle2.jpg

Karslingandearlybuckle3.jpg

Karslingwithearlybuckle-1.jpg

As far as value? Impossible to tell without lots of good photos but even that is only a ballpark guess. Hands on exam by an acknowledged expert is required for an accurate estimate.

Military Rifle Journal
Back